Due to Covid-19 all our staff and volunteers are working remotely. This role will be a work from home remote role until further notice.
What is Healthwatch?
Healthwatch Bromley is an independent organisation set up to champion the views of health and social care service users. It strives to make sure that health and social care services are meeting local needs and to ensure that the public’s voice is heard regarding how local services are run. Healthwatch also makes sure that the public is informed on any plans to change those services, and in identifying gaps in services.
About the role
Your Voice in Health and Social Care (YVHSC) are looking for Bromley residents interested in becoming part of Healthwatch Bromley. We are looking for people to join our committee with local knowledge, experience and passion for promoting better health and social care for local people.
The committee represents an advisory body overseeing strategic direction and monitoring the progress of Healthwatch Bromley. You will be responsible for shaping the future of the organisation and establishing the basis for building a large local membership from all communities in the borough.
- Oversee governance of Healthwatch Bromley, working with your fellow committee members and the committee chair. Committee members are expected to attend all committee meetings.
- Participate in other committees/groups where required.
- Contribute to the scrutiny of health and social care service providers in the borough of Bromley to ensure that patients, service users, carers and the wider community is satisfied with the service that they receive.
- Identify, approve and oversee a range of projects through to evaluation of impact and publishing of reports.
- To oversee the development of a comprehensive community strategy to ensure Healthwatch Bromley is reaching the diverse communities of Bromley.
- To be involved as the outward face of Healthwatch Bromley at Public Engagement events and conferences, demonstrate leadership and take an active role in public and membership engagement.
- Provide appropriate management, advice, support and challenge to the Healthwatch Bromley Staff.
- Build and maintain good relationships with key stakeholders, including members of the public, patients, service users, carers, Healthwatch England, the Department of Health, Care Quality Commission, Monitor (Regulator of NHS Foundation Trusts), NHS funded providers, Bromley Clinical Commissioning Group, Bromley Health & Wellbeing Board, and Bromley Council.
- Ensure that Healthwatch Bromley is represented on the Bromley Health and Wellbeing Board and plays a proactive role in decisions relating to the Health and Wellbeing Strategy, planning, commissioning and delivery of health and social care.
Is this the right role for me?
Requirements of Committee Members:
- Flexible schedule. Time commitment varies between 3-10 hours a month on a flexible schedule. Committee meetings vary but are roughly once every two months. There may be other events and meetings that you are requested to attend.
- Experience of the health and social care sector in Bromley. medical students & practitioners, third sector workers, those with experience working with the Local Authority or CCG.
- Must be good at working as part of a collaborative team.
- Must be willing to commit to self development – Committee members are encouraged to identify personal training and development needs, and seek opportunities for development, attending training events as required.
- Diligence and attention to detail, Committee members are expected to prepare adequately for meetings they attend. Making sure they read through reports and other documents to highlight errors, problems and issues that can then be raised in committee meetings or otherwise.
Benefits of volunteering
- Enjoying the experience of volunteering as part of a friendly team and meeting new people
- Increasing your confidence and learning new skills
- Using your experience with Healthwatch to develop your CV and seek work in health and social care or other fields of employment
- In house training opportunities including call handling and safeguarding.
- Reasonable travel and expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with our Volunteer Policy