Emerging Communities Outreach Volunteer
Due to Covid-19 all our staff and volunteers are working remotely. This role will be a work from home remote role until further notice.
What is Healthwatch?
Healthwatch Ealing is an independent organisation set up to champion the views of health and social care service users. It strives to make sure that health and social care services are meeting local needs and to ensure that the public’s voice is heard regarding how local services are run. Healthwatch also makes sure that the public is informed on any plans to change those services, and in identifying gaps in services.
About the Role
Healthwatch Ealing is an organisation which has previously benefitted from the participation of volunteers from diverse cultural backgrounds, influencing the provision of Health & Social care services across the borough. This includes research projects to evaluate the quality of NHS services, signposting patients to relevant healthcare services, providing information to the public on available Health and Social care services and guidance on complaint procedures. Healthwatch Ealing now envisages the creation of new roles and opportunities for members of emerging communities across the borough (Afghan, Nepalese, Algerian, Burmese, Sri Lankan, Romanian & Bulgarian communities) as representatives of members of their community in the Health & Social care sector.
The main motive of this opening is to ensure that members of emerging communities have access to information about healthcare services available to them, and that no individual is deprived of Health and Social care services due to lack of knowledge or issues with communication in English. This would be a great opportunity for willing volunteers from emerging communities to become more actively and directly involved in health and social care projects through Healthwatch. In addition, this role would avenue opportunities for shadowing at senior committee and board level meetings, working together with Healthwatch liaison representatives and the project team at a strategic level.
- Get involved with community outreach programmes by Healthwatch Ealing, specifically targeting emerging communities in Ealing.
- Provide advice to the Healthwatch Ealing staff on strategic influencing opportunities to raise the profile of Healthwatch Ealing to members of emerging communities.
- Engage in research projects led by Healthwatch Ealing, aimed at enabling access and providing awareness of healthcare services to emerging communities.
- Get involved in decision making about raising standards of Health & Social care service provision.
Is this role right for me?
We are looking for individuals who possess some or all of the below experiences, skills and qualities.
- Ability to communicate fluently in native language and English.
- Preferably belong to an emerging community.
- Strong desire to raise awareness about healthcare services.
- Strong communication skills.
- Commitment to personal progression and openness to diversity.
Benefits of volunteering
- Enjoying the experience of volunteering as part of a friendly team and meeting new people
- Increasing your confidence and learning new skills
- Using your experience with Healthwatch to develop your CV and seek work in health and social care or other fields of employment
- In house training opportunities including call handling and safeguarding.
- Reasonable travel and expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with our Volunteer Policy