Ideal time commitment: Every Thursday, 10am-2pm
Reports to: Volunteer Co-ordinator
About the Helen Bamber Foundation
The Helen Bamber Foundation (HBF) is a human rights charity based in London which was founded in 2005. Our specialist team of therapists, doctors and legal experts have an international reputation for providing therapeutic care, medical consultation, legal protection and practical support to survivors of human rights violations.
HBF grew from the recognition that people who have suffered prolonged inter-personal violence – whether from human trafficking; war; community, domestic or gender-based violence – present with similar physical and psychological symptoms to torture survivors and experience the same complex and enduring responses to their trauma.
We offer our clients a Model of Integrated Care, providing legal, medical, psychological and welfare support, as well as an Integration Programme which includes arts-based groups, and skills-based classes such as English and IT. Through this, we help our clients to develop a sustained recovery from extreme trauma.
If you have good communication skills and experience supporting a vulnerable client group and are keen to get experience in a Human Rights Charity, we encourage you to apply!
About the role
We are looking for volunteers to support our clients at our weekly Community Group. Every week we host a space for our clients to socialise, relax, have fun, share a meal together and get involved in various workshops, including physical wellbeing and mental health, financial skills, educational and employment skills, therapeutic activities and peer support sessions. There are also opportunities for clients to speak to the HBF welfare & housing and legal teams if they need advice. The group of clients have been identified as our most isolated clients who benefit from a regular opportunity to socialise and meet new people. The Community Group encourages our clients to participate in a community, gain useful information and skills through workshops, and increase their confidence and independence.
Main tasks and activities
As a Community Group volunteer, you will:
- Support HBF staff and other volunteers to make the logistics of the Community Group run smoothly;
- Facilitate sessions with clients either independently or with HBF staff and volunteers;
- Socialise with our clients and help them to feel engaged and welcomed;
- Signpost clients towards the services they need to access at HBF;
- Engage with clients on a 1-2-1 basis to help them integrate into the group and meet other clients, volunteers and staff;
- Make the Community Group a fun and welcoming space for HBF’s clients.
Skills and experience needed
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the objectives of the Helen Bamber Foundation;
- Empathy towards our client group, survivors of human cruelty;
- Some understanding of the experiences of asylum seekers and refugees and the challenges they experience;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Confidence to interact on a 1-2-1 basis with our cleints;
- Flexibility and willingness to undertake duties as required;
- Fluency or aptitude in a language other than English would be very desirable.
What you will get out of the role
- A greater understanding of the experiences of asylum seekers and refugees in the UK;
- A strong understanding of how HBF’s integration programmes contribute to the well-being of our clients;
- An appreciation of the processes and systems that asylum seekers and refugees deal with in the UK;
- The satisfaction of supporting particularly isolated individuals to engage with their peer group and others across the community;
- Experience of supporting and facilitating activities for adults.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.