We are recruiting for a Creative content writer for Hidayah’s quarterly E-Zine (Produce 4 per year). The purpose of the E-Zine will keep our readers up to date with what is happening within our active charity, help attract new members and volunteers as well as use creative ways to keep LGBTQIA+ Muslims informed about issues that are of importance to the community.
Although you do not need to be LGBTQIA+ or Muslim to be able to carry out this role, it is important to have a broad knowledge and interest on these areas to be able to genuinely engage with the specific audience that our E-Zine will be for.
What is the purpose of the role?
We use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to engage with members and the public. Social media is used to share articles, events, news, vacancies and overall boost the visibility of our organisation and it’s cause. The E-Zine will act like a quarterly placeholder of all information we wish to communicate to the community.
The content writer will be required to:
- Carry out research to obtain quality content and share relevant information on the E-Zine
- Use creative ways to engage the reader with the content provided
- Promote events and seeking fundraising opportunities
- Use content sent in by our audience to publish in the E-Zine (i.e. stories/comments)
- Communicating with the board on feedback, suggestions and issues
We ask volunteers to be mindful about confidentiality, to be sensitive towards other people's opinions and circumstances and to check with board members for potentially controversial content or messages that may cause offence prior to publishing in the E-Zine.
How much commitment is required?
We are flexible around your own schedule. You will have regular catch ups with your line manager to speak about workload. We envisage this role taking a couple of hours a week depending how comfortable you are in the role and appreciate that it may take some people longer to fulfil tasks.
What training do I need for this role?
We require all volunteers to read, agree and sign the following policies:
- Data Protection Policy and Procedures (GDPR);
- Equality and Diversity Policy;
- Any other policies as relevant and once ratified by the Board Members;
- The Board Members may require specific training or DBS checks at later dates.
What do we expect from a Creative content writer?
Please note that you must agree with and fit the criteria below to be eligible to volunteer in this role:
Knowledge and experience:
- Prior experience of creating an E-Zine
- Ability to use different creative platforms to produce content
- Great use of the English language and ability to produce high quality work
- A self-starter who can volunteer with minimal supervision;
- Friendliness, enthusiasm, dedication, responsiveness, flexibility and eagerness in supporting the aims, vision and mission of Hidayah;
- Reliable and regular volunteer;
- Ability to understand confidentiality, equality and diversity and safeguarding procedures;
- Someone who can behave with professionalism.
- To be part of a communications text group (WhatsApp) to keep up to date with Hidayah developments and to inform the Board Members of any developments;
- To check group messages/emails regularly and to respond when needed;
- To read new Hidayah policies and initiatives and to be aware of new Hidayah news;
- To read, understand and agree with the constitution of Hidayah (available on website).
- To help to fundraise for, and advertise, any Hidayah events and fundraising drives.
- Must be 18+ and live in the UK
What benefits do I get from this role?
- A feeling of making a difference to LGBT+ Muslims and the feeling of being part of an organisation which seeks social justice for LGBT+ Muslims. You can be part of that change;
- A warm and approachable Board member to support you as you volunteer at the other end of the phone;
- A reference for your CV.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.