Humanist Climate Action Steering Committee (Wales)
Humanist Climate Action (HCA) is a volunteer-led network of Humanists UK members and supporters. We are looking for a steering committee member based in Wales to lead on our partnership with Climate Cymru. You will have a keen interest in campaigning on environmental issues, be a confident networker, proactive, well organised, and enthusiastic about volunteering your time and skills to support Humanist Climate Action.
The role of steering committee members is to plan and execute HCA’s work, in line with its aims and policy, its aims being:
- to encourage humanists to promote environmentally friendly policies, and adopt greener lifestyles, in accordance with the best available scientific evidence;
- to endorse and support the actions of other environmental campaigning groups that have similar objectives;
- to challenge non-evidence-based beliefs, misconceptions, or disinformation about environmental issues, particularly climate change;
- to ensure that the humanist voice is heard in religion or belief narratives on environmental issues.
To be shared across the Steering Committee:
- Engagement with Climate Cymru and the Welsh Government
- Draft and send periodic emails to HCA supporters
- Regularly update HCA’s social media platforms
- Attend Committee meetings
- Develop a series of events and activist training sessions
- Respond to national and local government consultations on environmental issues
- Encourage humanists to become more active politically by for example creating and taking part in petitions and other online actions, and writing to elected representatives and other decision-makers
- Take part in demonstrations, protests, and marches
- Prepare and publish comments or statements from HCA
- Represent HCA at environmental campaign events
- Expand HCA’s membership
Please download the application pack for more information about the role.
The position is remote but the post holder must be based in Wales, and we expect the volunteer to offer approximately five hours a month to the role.
If you would like to join the Committee, please email us outlining in no more than 500 words why you think you be the best person for the role.