Inter Cultural Youth Exchange UK (ICYE UK) was set up in 1993 to promote inter-cultural understanding, peace and cooperation. We believe that local community action can have a global reach and positively affect the world we live in. ICYE UK is part of a federation of over 30 countries that promotes intercultural exchange and understanding between young people through voluntary placements overseas, including social and environmental projects in a range of countries in South America, Africa and Asia. We believe in the importance of reciprocal exchange and host roughly 50 international volunteers in the UK every year.
Understandably, in light of Covid-19, this is a challenging time for an organisation like ours which provides international volunteering programmes. As we seek to adapt our organisation in response to the pandemic, we are seeking to appoint a committed and motivated Treasurer who will work with ICYE-UK to support the organisation with financial affairs during this time and beyond.
As a Treasurer, you will be responsible for overseeing the financial direction and governance of ICYE UK and will work with a dynamic team who support over 50 volunteers every year.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for someone who can:
- Provide support to staff and board in relation to financial matters, including budgeting, forecasting, and analysis of financial trends.
- Ensure the financial sustainability of the organisation is considered as part of all decision making
- Identify and bring to the Board any financial risks facing the chairty.
- Regularly report the financial position of the organisation to the Board, ensuring that the organisation's financial resources are sufficient to meet current and future needs.
- Ensure that ICYE-UK's financial affairs are legal and constitutional.
The ideal Treasurer will:
- Be able to support in acting out the above in collaboration with others on the board.
- Have knowledge and experience of governance and management, either within a charity, or in another role that is applicable to the post.
- Have an understanding of current finance practice that is relevant to a voluntary organisation.
- Have strong financial analysis skills and the ability to communicate information clearly and simply.
- Be committed and driven by ICYE UK's values and vision, and committed to understanding the importance of cultural exchange in education and personal development.
There are 6 board meetings per year, plus an AGM. We also arrange two staff/trustee away days each year. These are arranged to suit Trustee availability.
What's in it for you?
Trusteeship is a challenging and brilliant way to volunteer your time and skills to an organisation, build upon your strengths and expand your skillset. Through being a part of ICYE, you will have the opportunity to work with a dedicated and passionate team who are committed to delivering unique volunteering opportunities for young people all around the world. Now more than ever, it is important to build peace and understanding across cultures and through volunteering your time to be part of ICYE’s board, you will help to support this mission.