What are we looking for?
We are looking for friendly and enthusiastic individuals to to join our team as Mealtime Support Volunteers on Albert Ward at St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington. Volunteers will play a friendly and supportive role for patients during mealtimes on a surgical rehabilitation ward. Supporting the ward team to distribute meals, interacting with patients as appropriate, and ensuring they have everything they need to be able to make the most of their mealtime experience.
What will I do?
- Support the housekeeping and ward staff to deliver meals to patients
- Take time to chat and be a companion to patients when delivering their meals and keeping them company, where appropriate, while they eat
- Ensure patients have a clean space to eat their meals
- Make teas and coffees for patients, to go with their meal
- Open food packaging for patients as required, providing condiments if necessary
- Report any issues or feedback as required to the nursing team
- This role does not include assisting patients to physically eat their meals
Ideally we are looking for individuals who can volunteer for up to two consecutive hours weekly in the morning, or in the evening. For specific shift times, please see page 4. We ask volunteers to commit to a minimum of six months with us initially.
Why is this volunteer role so important?
Meals are incredibly important for patient recovery and well-being, and we believe that volunteers can provide a huge amount of support to our patients, visitors and staff. Mealtime Support Volunteers are incredibly valued members of the team helping to enhance the experience patients have while they are in hospital.
How to apply
1) View the role description and read thoroughly before deciding whether this role is right for you
2) Fill out the application form on our website here by Monday 4 November at 9am
What will you get out of it?
You’ll be volunteering with a close-knit, friendly and welcoming team who are wholly committed to helping patients and visitors. This role will provide you the rare opportunity to have an insight into how these areas of our hospitals function and to see how our incredible Trust staff work. You will gain experience in a hands-on customer service role and have the opportunity to gain new skills. You will receive training and support from a volunteering team for St Mary’s Hospital and hospital staff, as well as a huge amount of satisfaction from giving back to your local community by supporting the NHS. In line with our volunteer expenses policy, we will reimburse out of pocket expenses for travel and refreshments
Selection and Appointment Process
- We will call you once we have received your application to discuss the role, go through next steps, and answer any questions you may have.
- If your application meets the requirements we are looking for we will invite you to a Volunteer Selection Event. Please keep Wednesday 13 November 6pm – 8pm free to attend the Volunteer Selection Event for this role.
- Volunteer Selection Events give us a chance to meet potential new volunteers and for them to meet us and see what we do. We make them fun and informative. Roles will be offered to suitable applicants.
- The role offer is subject to receiving two satisfactory references and a DBS disclosure – don’t worry we will process this for you. To speed things up if you are successful please review this list of required ID documents and check that you have them available with valid dates as indicated.
- Upon receipt of both references and DBS disclosure, we will arrange for you to attend a Core Training day before you start volunteering
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.