This role is available Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 10am-1pm, or 1pm-4pm
This role is open to anyone aged 18 years and upwards
What are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers to join our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) team as a Patient Support Volunteer at Hammersmith Hospital within Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. Volunteers will provide a friendly and personal point of contact for patients in our wards, listening to any issues or concerns patients are experiencing and escalate challenges to the most appropriate member of staff of PALS team member.
What will I do as a Patient Support Volunteer?
- Be a friendly and empathetic face for patients and staff within the PALS team
- Be proactive in approaching and talking to patients during their stay in our hospital wards
- Offer a listening ear, refreshment or newspaper where required
- Build a rapport with nursing and other ward-based staff in order to best help us meet the needs of patients during their stay with us
- Escalate any issues, complaints or requests to a member of the PALS team as directed by the PALS Manager
- Report back to the PALS Manager at the end of each shift to record patients spoken to and issues raised
Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Rd, East Acton, London, W12 0HS
Ideally, we are looking for individuals who can volunteer between 10am-1pm and 1pm-4pm on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday. We ask volunteers to commit to a minimum of six months with us initially.
Why is this volunteer role so important?
We believe that volunteers can provide a huge amount of support to our patients, visitors and staff. By supporting the work of the Patient Advice and Liaison Service, volunteers will give patients and their families a chance to share their experiences, have companionship and reassurance during a challenging time, and will feedback to staff to help make improvements. Patient Support Volunteers will become valued members of the PALS team.
What will you get out of it?
You’ll be volunteering with a close-knit, friendly and welcoming team who are wholly committed to improving healthcare for our patients. This role will provide you the rare opportunity to gain an insight into how these areas of our hospitals function and to see how our incredible hospital staff work. You will gain experience in a hands-on customer service role and have the opportunity to gain new skills. You will receive training, support from a dedicated Volunteering Manager and hospital staff, and a huge amount of satisfaction from giving back to your local community by supporting the NHS. In line with our volunteer expenses policy, we’ll reimburse out of pocket expenses for travel and refreshments.
Selection and Appointment Process
How to apply
1) View the role description via our website
2) Apply online by Sunday 23 February 2020.
Selection and Appointment Process
- We will call you once we have received your application to discuss the role, go through next steps, and answer any questions you may have.
- If your application meets the requirements we are looking for we will invite you to a Volunteer Selection Event. Please keep Wednesday 11 March 2020 free to attend the Volunteer Selection Event for this role.
- Volunteer Selection Events give us a chance to meet potential new volunteers and for them to meet us and see what we do. We make them fun and informative. Roles will be offered to suitable applicants.
- The role offer is subject to receiving two satisfactory references and a DBS disclosure – don’t worry we will process this for you. To speed things up if you are successful please review this list of required ID documents and check that you have them available with valid dates as indicated.
- Upon receipt of both references and satisfactory DBS disclosure, we will arrange for you to attend a Core Training day before you start volunteering.
We really hope you apply for this role with Imperial Health Charity and help us to grow our team of volunteers with this valuable position as a Patient Support Volunteer. Should you need more support completing the online application form, or want to know more about the role, contact us