The projects you will be working on will vary, depending on which island you decide to volunteer in. Currently, volunteers work on the following projects:
- "Free shopping experience" distribution shop: the distribution warehouse is set up like a "shop", with hangers and shelves filled with clothes for refugees to come in and pick the clothes and hygiene items that they need. The volunteers help the families as "shopping assistants" by registering the "clients", helping them choose the items and keeping the "shop" clean.
- Warehouse sorting and storage: Volunteers organise all of the donated clothing and hygiene items on a daily basis at the storage warehouse ready to restock the 'shop’.
- Safe Space for Children: There are several educational and recreational activities for the children living in the refugee camps of the islands. Volunteers participate on a daily basis in running these activities with the help and leadership of project coordinators. Be ready to practise your jumping rope and hula hoop skills!
- Camp cleaning:due to the lack of appropriate and sufficient resources to tackle the vast volume of daily waste produced by the thousands of people living in the makeshift camps surrounding Moria and Vathi Camps, the tents are surrounded by mountains of garbage, especially plastic and organic waste. Volunteers clean the camps on a weekly basis in order to mitigate this problem.
- Beach cleaning: due to the numerous refugee arrivals by sea that have taken place over the last years, boat landing waste such as dinghy material and lifejackets have increasingly dominated the landscape of the Aegean shores. Furthermore, general daily waste from locals is also a persisting issue. Volunteers clean the local beaches on a weekly basis in order to mitigate this problem.