International Communities Organisation empowers communities, guided by its vision of self-determination and the values of development and human rights. It fosters an environment where cultures are respected, and organisations within these communities are free to pave the way for their own development.
The Institute for Local Government Innovation is a new ICO Institute focusing on research, publication and promotion of local policies and initiatives which have impacted lives and the Institute seeks to act as a disseminator of information and a research centre on impact of the policies .
The post is part time and largely research based
What will you be doing?
We are looking for a passionate professional who takes a methodological approach to their work, conducts independent research and analysis, engages with key stakeholders and establishes strategic partnerships to progress the Institute's core mission. Driving the end-to-end research process, conducting both independent research and support to members of working groups, publish research, produce briefing material for speeches and presentations for funders and external conferences; and turn actions into impacts to shape governance policy on a global platform.
Your Responsibilities Will Include
- Undertake research on impact of real policies such as local government, public policy, civil society, business management, international relations, etc.
- Help to develop the links with a US University and assist with the transition to purpose built premises which are identified and funded already.
- To carry out primary and secondary research activities including both quantitative and qualitative, analytical examination and publishing high-quality research which draws appropriate conclusions;
- To generate opportunities for strategic partnerships;
- To attend conferences and events to promote the Institute, communicate research findings and insights via PowerPoint decks and engage with key stakeholders;
All expenses will be paid and
Volunteers with more experience may be appointed as Principal or Senior Research Officer in the future.
What are we looking for?
Education and training
- A relevant degree or training in relevant discipline preferred;
- Experience in producing research outputs and structured reports for different audiences;
- A track record in research publications (desirable);
- Experience in building constructive relationships with stakeholders;
- Experience of working independently and with teams to drive forward projects using own initiative;
- Experience in designing, planning and facilitating independent research and the ability to meet tight deadlines;
Skills And Abilities
- Excellent oral communication skills, including the ability to develop effective working relationships, work flexibly across professional and operational boundaries, and communicate professionally with internal and external stakeholders at all levels;
- Excellent English writing skills and detail orientated;
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to balance competing demands under pressure;
- Strong presentation skills and ability to present ideas appropriately and persuasively.
What's in it for the volunteer?
Opportunities to attend conferences (where possible)
A chance to learn about civil society, peace and conflict, working with the UN, and human rights from our passionate team
Exposure to how policy work operates and how strategies are developed
The role offers a flexible opportunity to volunteer your time, by mutual agreement
You’ll gain experience in volunteering in a project support role in a busy team within the third sector
After a qualifying period of satisfactory volunteering, you’ll be able to ask for a reference in line with our Volunteer Policy.
The role will help further develop your skills and experience, and will look great on your CV!
You’ll gain a real personal benefit from knowing you are making a real positive change to the lives of people who are struggling to get by.
We will reimburse reasonable travel/mileage and lunch/refreshments expenses in line with our volunteer expenses policy.
Volunteers are further supported by the Programme Manager and also our dedicated team
- This role does not meet the criteria for a DBS check but we might ask two referees we can contact to for their opinions on your suitability for this role.
Candidates must submit their CV, cover letter with some English writing samples.
- Public Policy
- Local Governments
Desired Skills and Experience
Copywriting / journalism, Public Relations, Research and Publishing