About the role
Stewards help provide public access to the clock tower during open days and support CIGA tour guide on booked public tours.
- Coordinating access to the seven floors of the Clock Tower during open days.
- Supporting visitors by answering questions and helping them explore the history of Caledonian Park and its Clock Tower.
- To ensure the health and safety of visitors to the Tower.
- To use discretion when assessing whether visitors are able to climb the Clock Tower safely.
- Supporting CIGA tour guides during booked tours.
- Collecting feedback for our open days and tours.
- Participate as part of a small team of stewards.
What skills and qualities we are looking for?
- Friendly and enthusiastic.
- Able to interact with a variety of people and communicate the interpretation of the Clock Tower in an engaging way.
- General fitness. The tower has 220 steep stairs; the role is physically demanding will require standing for long periods.
- Confident with heights and confined spaces.
- Have an interest in History.
- Ability to adapt style and method of delivery in a manner appropriate to the audience.
- Willingness and ability to attend training sessions.
What we would like from you?
- To be guided by the Caledonian Park and Islington Council policies, including confidentiality, health and safety and equal opportunities
- To arrive for your scheduled time, or let us know in advance if you won’t be able to make it
- To ask if you’d like to do something specific or have a particular interest
- To let us know if there are any problems with your role, or anything you are not happy about
- To behave appropriately and to treat all staff and volunteers with respect
- You will need to wear flat shoes/boots and practical clothing for climbing the narrow stairs of the Clock Tower.
What we can offer you?
- A welcoming and enjoyable experience.
- Flexibility to volunteer at a time that suits your needs.
- Training, information and support to be able to carry out your role.
- Regular discussions to see how you feel about your volunteer role and how we can help you develop or try a different volunteer role.
- A chance to have any ideas, suggestions or complaints that you have taken seriously.
- To be treated fairly and with respect.
- Recognition for your contribution.
- To be covered by the Islington Council’s Insurance and Health and Safety policies.
- Expenses may be paid to those who live, work or study in the London Boroughs of Islington or Camden (in-line with our expenses policy)
Clock Tower open days run from 10am to 4pm and occur monthly. CIGA public tours will be arrange at least once a month. We will send out dates and times on a doodle poll in advance so that you can plan your volunteering in advance.
Caledonian Park is managed by Islington Council and sits within Parks Service who manage the local parks and green areas. Islington Heritage Service and Parks Service manage the Clock Tower and Heritage Centre in partnership. Our vision is of an accessible and inclusive Service, centred on increasing local cultural participation, exploring and celebrating local heritage and making a valuable contribution to local priorities.
Caledonian Park is a popular site full of history. The centrepiece of the park is a 155ft (47.5m) high grade II* listed Clock Tower built in 1855. The National Lottery Heritage Fund confirmed a grant award of £1,873,300 in December 2016. This funded our vision to revitalise Caledonian Park and secure the future of its clock tower.
Essential repairs have been made to the clock tower to ensure it is preserved for future generations, and also to allow it to be open to the public on a more regular basis. The renovation includes work to the original bells, balcony and staircase. The original market railings on Market Road and Shearling Way have also been repaired and restored, and a small heritage centre built (the ‘Cally Clock Tower Centre’) with space for community and education activities. The café and toilet facilities are also new.
This role is purely voluntary and this arrangement is not a legally binding one or an employment contract.