IVAR – Strengthening the UK voluntary sector
Is this Trustee role for you?
- Are you interested in social change?
- Would you like to play a strategic and advisory role in a leading and respected research charity?
- Could you bring diversity, life experience, a passion for the voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) sector?
If any of these apply to you, then becoming a trustee of IVAR may be a rewarding and enjoyable experience for you.
We are an independent research charity that works closely with people and organisations that are striving for social change. Our research supports and strengthens practice, is always practical and we make sure it is useful and usable and always geared towards making a stronger, more effective VCSE sector. We are also committed to sharing our research as widely as possible.
The next five years are going to be interesting as we aim to maintain our relentless focus on ‘being the best IVAR that we can be’. This will involve a programme of organisational development, using our voice to benefit the sector, establishing a network to find and explore the next generation of ideas and extending our network through a communications strategy. So, it’s going to be an interesting time to join our board and there will be plenty of opportunities for you to contribute and feel part of a developing and exciting movement in the sector.
Being a trustee at IVAR
IVAR has a core staff team of 11, a network of 15 highly experienced associates and advisors, and a trustee team of seven. We share a passion for the work and place of the VCSE sector in society. We also share and are driven by our values: curiosity, groundedness, humanity and hopefulness.
Trustees can expect to be involved in a range of activities, including:
- Setting and maintaining vision, mission and values
- Ensuring IVAR is legally compliant and accountable
- Having responsibility for the financial oversight of the organisation
- Supporting the operational management of the charity
Having a board that reflects the diversity of the communities that we seek to serve is really important to us – so we are particularly encouraging people from a range of backgrounds and experiences to apply; we are especially keen to appoint trustees who are black or people of colour.
We hope that new trustees will have:
- Affinity with IVAR’s charitable objects and current priorities
- Emotional intelligence and exceptional listening skill
While we welcome applications from all, based on a recent audit of our current board we are particularly hoping to attract people with:
- An understanding of the context and challenges facing the UK voluntary sector and, specifically, direct experience of leadership of small to medium VCSE organisations
- Strong networks with VCSE organisations, their funders and/or public agencies
- Communications expertise
If you feel you offer some of these qualities and have some of these direct experiences, then we would love to hear from you.
How to apply
First, click the "Apply on website" button and download the Trustee Application Pack, which will give you more information about IVAR and being a Trustee – and the application process. You'll also need the Equal Opportunities Form. Application is by letter, CV and EO form, to the address in the pack.
We value diversity, equality and inclusivity. Applications are actively encouraged from underrepresented backgrounds, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation and religion.