KCSC IS SEEKING A NEW TREASURER
Kensington and Chelsea Social Council (KCSC) is the umbrella body for the Voluntary and Community Sector in the borough of Kensington and Chelsea. After years of dedication from the current Treasurer we are now seeking a new Treasurer to support the organisation.
Who are we?
KCSC is an organisation that prides itself on being within the heart of the community, with social justice as one of our core values guiding all of our activities. We have always played a key part in supporting the local voluntary and community sector. Since the Grenfell Tower fire we have strengthened our role in community development, working more closely with residents and ensuring that they have the opportunities to determine their own futures.
KCSC is the Council for Voluntary Services for the borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Our vision is to see a thriving community for all and our mission is to strengthen and promote local voluntary and community organisations and the communities they work with.
We are a membership organisation, registered as a charity and company limited by guarantee. We are a small organisation with a team of 14 staff who punch above their weight to deliver a wide range of services. We do this in a variety of ways to over 400 voluntary and community organisations on our database and aim to provide a range of services which include:
- Advice, guidance and information
- Networking and forming working partnerships
- Representing the voluntary and community sector in Kensington and Chelsea at a strategic level
- Community development, working closely with residents to ensure their voices are heard by decision makers, and
- Having an influencing and leadership role locally
About the Board
Trustees are selected by the Board through an interview process and formally approved at the at the Annual General Meeting on a three-year basis. Currently we have a diverse Board of 12, which includes local residents and trustees from across the voluntary and private sectors each bringing with them a range of perspectives from their personal and professional backgrounds,
A new Treasurer
Our current Treasurer has been serving on the Board for nine years and has supported the organisation through a difficult economic climate, as well as overseen increased and diverse income over the years. The commitment and time given by them has been greatly valued. Upon stepping down, the incumbent is willing to support the incoming Treasurer over a period of time to ensure a smooth transition into the organisation.
We are now seeking a committed individual to join the Board and take up the role of Treasurer. Ideally, this will be someone who lives or works in the borough but must be someone with an understanding of charity finances and previous experience as a Treasurer.
The primary role of the Treasurer is as follows:
- Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements
- Making sure that the financial resources of KCSC meet its present and future needs
- Ensuring that KCSC has an appropriate reserves and investment policy
- Preparing and presenting financial reports to the Finance & Personnel Sub Committee and the Board in collaboration with the CEO and Deputy CEO
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place and are compliant
- Advising on the financial implications of KCSC’s strategic plans
- Keeping the Finance and Personnel Sub Committee and the Board informed of its financial duties, responsibilities and obligations
- Advising on the preparation / submission of financial reports to funders and the Charity Commission
- Overseeing and advising on financial risk and financial management of KCSC
You will have experience of charity accounting and be able to provide guidance on ensuring the organisation adheres to charity accounting principles, policies and regulations. Previous experience of being on a charity board as a Treasurer is a requirement, alongside a commitment to the furtherance of the voluntary and community sector and its role within civil society, as well as a commitment to our stated mission and values.
Recognising the importance of both diversity and representation, we particularly encourage applications from women, disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, who remain underrepresented at board level within the charity sector.
The Treasurer will need to commit to attending a total of eight Board and Sub Committee meetings a year as well as spending a few hours each month attending additional internal meetings with CEO/Deputy CEO/Chair on financial matters. Currently all meetings are taking place online. We aim to meet accessibility requirements so we will discuss any necessary requirements with you.
What you get from us
Apart from being a welcome addition to the Board to help steer KCSC, we are committed to ensuring that the Board operates in an inclusive manner, that all views are given an equal hearing, and that all members are treated with respect. We also support Trustee development and provide access to training courses, workshops and seminars. We also provide opportunities for Trustees to join in broader KCSC activities both socially and professionally.
Closing Date: Wednesday 10 March
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.