Do you have a good level of Portuguese and a genuine interest in supporting a small, almost entirely volunteer-run charity that provides services to newly settled communities in the capital? Then this volunteer role might be for you!
Purpose of the role
We have recently started to collaborate with a Portuguese Community centre (Centro the Apoio a comunidade Lusofona) to run workshops for a senior group of Portuguese speaking clients. We are therefore, looking for an individual with the knowledge or skills set in an activity that can help improve their wellbeing. This could be anything from alternative therapies (e.g. yoga, meditation), to art therapy, physical exercise, music, theatre or health educational topics (e.g. Stress, depression, etc.).
The activity or workshop will be targeted at the Portuguese Speaking community in Lambeth. We require the volunteer to deliver between 1 to 2 workshops per month on Thursday afternoons in Portuguese.
- Plan, organize and run sessions for clients on your topic of expertise.
- Engage with clients in a positive manner and promote healthy habits.
- Report back to project coordinator on sessions feedback and outcomes.
We are looking for
- You will be knowledge on the topic you decide to teach or run a session on. This can include and cultural, artistic or holistic activity.
- Fluency in Portuguese is necessary (most of our client base does not speak English).
- You will have a friendly and sympathetic personality and will be enthusiastic to work with a team of passionate volunteers.
- You will have the ability to listen, communicate and engage with people of all ages, genders, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, cultures and abilities with a non-judgemental approach – that is culturally sensitive and aware of individual circumstances and needs.
- You will be sensitive when working with vulnerable people and will have a genuine interest in promoting their well-being and independence.
- Commitment of at least 3 months.
What would you gaing from volunteering with us
We believe that volunteering is a two-way exchange of skills that should be beneficial for both parties.
- Volunteer as part of a team in a friendly and dynamic environment.
- Have the chance to work with a variety of different people and make a real difference to their lives.
- Learn and develop skills that could be helpful for future employment opportunities or further learning.
- Gain valuable knowledge and experience of working in the Charity sector.
- Have the possibility to practice other languages.
- A reference upon 3 months of volunteering.
- Gain experience working in a multi-cultural/multi-lingual environment, which is highly valued by recruiters.
- Increase your own self-confidence.
- Attend social and cultural events organised by LADPP.
- Make friends and have fun!