Lewisham Refugee and Migrant Network (LRMN) is a leading grassroots refugee and migrant organisation in London providing services mainly in south and southeast London boroughs. A thriving and quality organisation, our services include legal advice and casework on immigration, housing and welfare for adults as well as for refugee and asylum seeking children. We also assist our service users gain employment and or access training and volunteering opportunities. Our counselling and therapeutic support for women who survived gender based violence have been going on for 10 years creating greater awareness on violence against women and transforming women’s lives. In response to our clients’ struggles and challenges which for many have led to mental health issues, we are running a project to improve their well-being, prevent and recover from mental health issues. We also delivers English classes, run a gardening club, provide food parcel and vouchers and offer hardship fund to users who are in crisis.
In partnership with a national refugee organisation, we will be delivering soon the Refugee Resettlement Programme in Lewisham. We will engage with Syrian, Iraqi and other nationalities who have recently arrived in the borough and support them to integrate in their community through volunteering, befriending scheme, employment, and more. Recognising that they may also have other practical problems which may hinder their full integration in the community, we will help them address their issues on housing, welfare, health access and more.
We currently have committed and skilled board of trustees from a range of background and we are looking for new trustees with expertise or background on one or more of the following areas; 1) GDPR 2) Health and Safety 3) Managing Compliance Systems 4) Fundraising and or 5) Developing new services. We would also welcome those with lived experience of being a refugee or a migrant.
As a trustee you should be committed to:
- Attending the trustees’ quarterly meeting; normally on weekdays from 6.30 – 9.300pm;
- Join one of the sub-committees and attend their quarterly meetings in the evening during weekdays;
- Attend our yearly strategic planning;
- Contribute to any undertaking of the trustees and share your ideas either by phone, email or face to face;
- Meet the staff of LRMN and gain understanding of the services they are delivering; and
- Act on the best interest of LRMN and improve your knowledge on the challenges and issues refugees, asylum seekers and migrants are facing.