Do you want to be part of the team that deliver an exciting central London sporting event and all whilst supporting the vital work of Tommy's, the largest charity carrying out research into pregnancy loss and premature birth in the UK? Then volunteer now for a variety of roles in the London Landmarks Half Marathon on the 29th of March 2020!
The London Landmarks Half Marathon is a closed road, central London run and is the only half marathon to go through both the City of London and the City of Westminster. Once again the LLHM offered a fabulous central London half marathon route adorned with historical activations, musical performances, dj's, dancers, themed cheer stations and more!
Event roles will include:
Greeting & directing participants
-We are looking for friendly and enthusiastic volunteers to join our meet and greet team!
-This is a really important position as you will be the first members of the team that our participants meet when they arrive on event day!
-This is a really fulfilling role as you will get to meet hundreds of our runners and have the chance to welcome them to London, put a smile on their face, and get them motivated for their run!
-A good knowledge of London and how to get around is a bonus so you can advise our participants on how to get to the Event Village and how to get home.
Assisting with our event entertainment - for example this may include dressing up as a Suffragette, a Roman Gladiator, in a bowler hat, or as a character from Harry Potter!
- We will have quirky and exciting experiences around the route for our participants. We would love people who are happy to dress up, partake and fully embrace them.
- You could be re-enacting a Roman Gladiator scene, taking part in historic games at Dr. Johnsons house, donning your sash and waving your flag for Women’s Rights as a Suffragette or be part of our dramatic bowler hat send off at the start line!
- These roles help inspire our participants and their supporters alike, giving them an insight to some of the hidden wonders of London
Helping with the Start
- We need enthusiastic and friendly volunteers who can join our start team to motivate and inspire all our runners before they set off on their challenge.
-With direction from your team leader, you will be required to help control the flow of our 14,000 runners, helping them start in the right place, at the right time and with a smile on their face!
Manning the Bag Drop area
- This is a crucial area to the success of the event. We have thousands of runners turning up to run a half marathon the vast majority will bring a bag with them.
- This area needs to be looked after by a dedicated team of friendly volunteers who can help to run the bag area like clockwork!
Assisting on the Route
- This is a crucial event role. Positioned at key points around the route, you will be part of a team who are our eyes and ears on the course. You’ll help direct our runners in the right direction whilst cheering them on and keeping them motivated. You will need to be loud and energetic no matter what the weather!
- You may also be located at key crossing points across the route to ensure that members of the public can safely cross the route. For this role you will need to be confident, friendly and be prepared to use your voice!
Manning Drinks Stations
- This is where our runners can grab a quick drink and maybe a moments rest. We need a team of friendly, welcoming volunteers to support our runners when they need it most. You are essential to keeping them feeling positive, hydrated and getting them back out running again.
Helping in the Finish area handing out medals etc
- We need all singing all dancing, happy, cheering volunteers to welcome our runners across the finish line and to congratulate them on their achievement.
- You will be adorning them with their well-earned medals and handing out water etc
How Much Time Do You Need To Commit?
Your shift will be a maximum of 8 hours, but most will likely be shorter depending on the location and role you are given and the area in which you will work. A rough idea of shift times for the event will be from 07.00 – 14.00. However please note we will not know the exact shift timings until nearer the event date and so more accurate information will be briefed to you by the event volunteer team in the run up to the event.
What Support Will You Be Given?
A member of the team will be in touch before the event to send you a full briefing about your role. A team leader will brief, guide, support and work closely with you on the day at the event.
What Are The Benefits?
-The satisfaction of knowing that you are making a valuable contribution to the event that is helping to raise vital money for Tommy's and other charities.
-The opportunity to develop communication and event skills.
-Experience working at a large central London sporting event!
-The enjoyment of meeting new people and being a part of our team.
-The knowledge that you will have made a positive impact and provided invaluable support, improving the experience of participants and spectators.