Macaw populations have declined significantly over the past decades. The main causes are illegal poaching for the pet trade and the loss of mature forest habitat, which they rely on for feeding and nesting. MRN's vision is to see a future with thriving parrot populations in healthy, connected forests, across their former ranges. MRN’s breeding center consists of over 80 rescued non-releasable macaws, that through breeding and release of their offspring, can still contribute to the conservation of their wild relatives.
Provide Macaw Families with a home! Following decades of deforestation, Macaw habitat has been destroyed and with secondary forest regrowing, these trees are not big enough to host a Macaw family. Will you come refurbish, build and install artificial bird boxes for our 50 released Scarlet Macaws? Being a non-profit organization we work with very limited funds, so by hosting a handy volunteer, we hope to cut our annual operation costs and so increase our impact for the conservation of parrots. The Handy Volunteer may also be given responsibility for some repairs and improvement of the buildings and aviaries on site.
All or some of the following duties may be assigned to the Handy Volunteer:
- Climbing trees to inspect existing boxes, improve when possible, take down when needed
- Refurbish existing boxes
- Building artificial nest boxes for captive and wild Macaws
- Climb and install nest boxes high up in trees
- Maintenance and development of current facilities and aviaries on site, including plumbing, electrics, or other construction related
- Different general site maintenance or development tasks may be assigned depending on our current needs and the skills and abilities of particular volunteers
A variety of the following skills are relevant for the right applicant:
- Preference given to those with climbing experience (rope access preferred)
- Has experience working as a carpenter and/or in construction
- Beneficial if knows how to use a welder and has experience with plumbing or electrics
- Can demonstrate a Handy project he/she has completed
- Comfortable being away from family and friends for longer.
The volunteer is expected to work 5 days a week, from 5.30am until 5pm with a three-hour break.
Duration of work:
The minimum duration is one month up to six months. Longer stays are preferred.
Desirable personal Qualities:
- Dependable and responsible
- Independent work attitude
- Motivated and positive with a desire to contribute
- Flexible, friendly, patient and optimistic
- Sense of humor is helpful.
- Receives training on safe climbing techniques on the job
- Great experience both in terms of travel and supporting a non-profit
- Increased understanding and appreciation of different values and lifestyles
- Increased skill in creative problem-solving
- Increased skill in team work
All international and national travel costs to initially get to the site are the responsibility of the applicant. However, once on site, accommodation, daily transport, and utilities are provided. All team members buy and prepare their own food, for this we recommend you budget for at least $40 per week, or more if you like luxuries. Comprehensive insurance cover for the entire stay is a must, and should be arranged and paid for by the applicant.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.