Macular disease is the biggest cause of sight loss in the UK. The Macular Society is the only charity determined to beat the fear and isolation of macular disease with world class research, and the best advice and support.
What will you be doing?
As part of our Board of Trustees, you will use your knowledge, skills and experience to ensure we achieve our charitable objectives and provide support and advice on matters that impact us.
We are keen to ensure we have the right expertise across our board to match our future needs, with this in mind we are particularly looking for candidates who have skills and experience in one or more of the following areas: lived experience of macular disease, safeguarding, employment law, or experience of translational research and the early drug discovery pipeline.
What are we looking for?
Knowing Our Stuff
- An understanding or knowledge of the needs of people affected by Macular Disease
- An ability to analyse information and evidence to reach robust decisions
- Ability to demonstrate commercial acumen.
- Experience at a senior level or previous experience of the third sector (desirable).
Showing We Care
- A genuine interest in the vision and purpose of the charity, with a commitment to people living with macular disease
- An excellent, confident and persuasive communicator.
- Willingness to devote time and effort
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team while contributing your own viewpoint
- A commitment to the following ethical principles which are pivotal for the role of a trustee: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
Making It Happen
- Ability to apply strategic vision to governance and decision making.
- Good, independent judgement.
- An ability to promote the Society and the needs of people living with macular disease to a range of external stakeholders, including influencing their behaviour.
- An understanding and acceptance of legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship.
- Excellent collaborative working skills and the ability to develop effective partnerships.
What difference will you make?
As part of our Board of Trustees, your role will be to contribute to the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity, using your knowledge, skills and experience to ensure the Macular Society achieves its charitable objectives.
Before you apply
Please view the full job specification and see what our teams say about working here by visiting our website.
To apply, please email your CV with a covering letter via Reach in the first instance.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.