Marie Curie are experts in end-of-life care. Spending time with patients alone or with their families and friends, we’re looking for volunteers to provide emotional support, a listening ear, short breaks for friends and family, help with signposting for information and support, and to simply be there for people at this very difficult time.
Your role will include some of, but is not restricted to, the following duties:
• Spending time with patients of St George’s Hospital who have been identified as nearing the end of their life and providing support for them and their loved ones.
• Sitting with a patient when their loved ones need a break.
• Liaising with hospital staff and keeping the companions volunteer coordinator updated with any significant updates with the patient by telephone or in person.
• Writing and submitting a brief report after each patient or family you support.
• Explaining clearly the Companions Volunteer role and making sure that families are aware of the services provided by the hospital to families of dying patients.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.