The Museum of Brands is a popular friendly museum of consumer culture located in West London. Our volunteer Museum Assistants help us to run the museum on a day-to-day basis, providing a warm welcome to our customers and playing an essential part in our activities. Volunteers will be museum ambassadors for this exciting, lively, and engaging museum.
Museum Assistants support the Duty Manager with the following:
The Museum Assistant role is fast-paced and varied, with the Museum Assistant being involved in various tasks throughout the day. The duties of Museum Assistant range from sales and cash handling, promoting Gift-aid donations, queue management, way-finding, and information assistance.
- Welcoming customers, engaging with them and providing information about the museum and its collection.
- Helping to boost return visits and Word-of-Mouth through positive visitor experience.
- Helping visitors to discover more about the Museum, assisting with interpretation - e.g. answering questions, handing out children's quizzes and trails and leaflets
- Assisting in admissions, for both the general public, and booked educational groups
- Gathering and processing customer information.
- Be an advocate for the work of the Museum of Brands
- Conducting online research, and building contact lists
- Selling museum merchandise and refreshments, and helping to keep the gift shop fully stocked and operational.
- Supporting our marketing assistant through producing social media content and assisting in campaigns
- Helping to promote the Museum in the local area.
Who we’re looking for:
We’d also extend an invitation to anyone, in particular retired members of the local community, with a specific interest in social history to apply for this role:
- Excellent communication skills, friendly and confident about approaching audiences of all ages and backgrounds, you will be confident in initiating conversations with visitors and responding to visitor questions.
- Basic skills in Microsoft Office are essential, as is a good telephone manner.
- Good team working and social skills
- We use online social media to promote our activities, so skills and experience in this area are desirable but not necessary.
- Basic knowledge of the Museum's activities
- Ability to work independently and use initiative
- Experience of working with children or on public events desirable but not essential
- Administration skills or office experience desirable but not essential
Training and support:
We have an induction process, during which we give Volunteers the information we believe they need to enjoy their time with us. Training is mainly 'on the job', supported by an experienced volunteer as well as the manager on duty. Volunteers are given regular feedback and we remain open to suggestions on how we can improve the volunteer experience. The Museum Assistant receives continued training and development throughout their time with us.
We are looking for volunteers who would ideally like to donate one 4 or 8 hour day, on either Saturdays or Sundays for a minimum of 3 months. Ideally you will be able to start immediately, although this is not essential. Travel and/or lunch expenses will be paid up to £10 per day.
Shift Times available are: Saturday: 10-2, 12-4, 2-6 or 10-6 and Sunday: 11-3, 1-5 or 11-5
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.