Please enter your email address to proceed with the application.
We recognised your email address. Sign in to prefill your application.
Step 1 out of 4
Your CV has been uploaded successfully.
Step 1 out of 4
It's time to upload your CV:
Step 2 out of 4
Add a cover letter to maximise your chances of getting this job.
Step 4 out of 4
Whoop! Your application is ready to be submitted.
Step 3 out of 4
Almost done! Please enter your details.
Want to tailor your application?
Go through the usual application process to upload a new CV and cover letter.
Our Room Guides at Knole tell the story of this wonderful old building and the remarkable characters who have lived here. As visitors look around, the guides bring each room to life. They’re passionate about the amazing family stories, and history of Knole.
• Welcoming every visitor.
• Learning more about Knole, so you can share all that’s special - indoors and out.
• Helping visitors to discover more, making suggestions so they can enjoy their day, their way.
• Helping if people ask, and thinking about the needs of all visitors, including people with disabilities and families.
• Using your knowledge or skills, for example giving talks and helping with children’s activities.
• Helping visitors understand why we need to take care of special places and, if needs be, raising any concerns you have with staff.
• Getting to know health and safety and evacuation procedures. Showing visitors the safest routes out of the building in an emergency.
This role will suit you if you are...
• Full of enthusiasm, hoping to inspire visitors of all ages.
• Someone who loves being around people – you’ll meet a lot each day!
• Interested in Knole – you don’t need to know about the history of Knole when you start but as a Room Guide you’ll soon pick up lots of interesting stories.
By getting involved you could
• Get to know Knole by heart and learn its secrets.
• Use your people skills to welcome and inspire visitors from all over the world.
• Be part of a varied and enthusiastic team and make new friends.
• Spend time in fabulous rooms jam-packed with history.
Please note that we are mainly recruiting for afternoon (1 to 5pm) room guides at the moment and that we are particularly looking for volunteers who are able to come to Knole on weekend days (at least once a month).
Knole has been a visitor attraction for centuries, but the last few years have seen Knole transformed. The ‘Inspired by Knole’ project, partially funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, has seen us protect and mend the fabric of the house; complete an extensive programme of conservation; open up new spaces to the public, such as the Conservation Studio and Gatehouse Tower; and provide improved visitor access and interpretation. All this means that we are getting more visitors than ever and there is even more for them to find out so we need more Room Guides to bring the place to life.