This is an opportunity to contribute to the community within Bromley by becoming a Trustee and Academy Ambassador at The Spring Partnership Trust. Board meetings are held at BR2 7AL.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at single-academy and multi-academy trusts (SATs and MATs). Academy trusts exist to improve the outcomes of young people. At the highest levels of governance, they need highly skilled individuals with a variety of experiences to hold executive leadership teams to account. Insights from a wide-range of backgrounds, ensure that boards are able to make informed choices on decisions that impact the lives of children and staff.
The Academy Ambassadors Programme is service funded by the Department for Education, to match senior business leaders with academy trusts looking to strengthen their boards. By working together, inspirational educationalists and talented business leaders can provide a better future for the next generation.
The Spring Partnership Trust is a very community orientated education provider based in Bromley. The trust board has been recognized for the quality of its governance and strategic leadership and seeks two non-executive directors with expertise in either Primary Education Leadership or HR to join their board. The trust has five primary schools with over 2,000 pupils, located across areas of varied demographics.
The board seeks two leaders with board level experience in:
- Primary Education Leadership
- Strategic HR
Throughout your term of office (typically 4 years, but this may vary between trusts), you will be an active contributor to key board decisions. Specifically, in the next 12 - 24 months the trust's key focus areas will be:
- School Improvement & Business - To continue their work of integrating their schools into a cohesive whole where there is mutual support and improvement together with benefiting from economies of scale both in terms of being more efficient financially but also in reducing teachers' workloads.
- Business & Leadership - Operationally, the trust outsources HR to an external provider called EPM with oversight by the CFO. The trust has already implemented a workforce review but has yet to review the Central Team and aims to consider how to improve performance management, centralise contracts and refresh associated HR policies.
- Leadership & Outcomes - The trust's governance structure and procedures are constantly evolving to enable the trust Board to take a high-level strategic view whilst also coordinating carefully with the work of Local Academy Councils. LGCs are focused on engaging with and support their local community and families to improve learning at home. During the pandemic the trust sought to provide families with IT equipment to enable home learning for all pupils. The trust also gained funding to provide summer school in two of its schools for a four-week period. Longer term, the trust board would like to offer nursery provision in all its schools to engage with parents and pupils early and support their transition into Reception class.
Board governance in education is a strategic, 'eyes on, hands off' commitment which at The Spring Partnership Trust involves attending c. six board meetings per year, and approx. 4 hours' time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
When you select the option to Apply you will be redirected to the Academy Ambassadors webpage where you will find a full role specification with more details of the opportunity and the trust, including details of how to apply for the position.
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.