Now in our sixth year, Number Champions has established strong processes to manage volunteers in their deliver of maths support to children, has working management structures, and is fully solvent. Our 3-year plan is to continue to grow the number of children we support each year (from our current 300) while maintaining the quality of our delivery, and at the same time to execute our succession plan for our founder trustees.
You will take a key role in this by providing expertise to the board on how we can evaluate and improve the performance of our volunteers and the impact of the support they give to children.
Specific duties of the Education Trustee
- Review and challenge of our model for delivering support with maths to primary school children. This will include:
- definition of our intervention,
- evaluation of impact,
- training and support of volunteers, and
- the resources we provide for volunteers,
- liaise with experienced teachers volunteering with us as ‘Mentors’ who train and support the In-School Volunteers, to exchange ideas and to identify worthwhile developments,
- bring and maintain current awareness of primary schools including developments in maths education, in order to inform our decision making.
In addition, you will have the general duties of a trustee to ensure that the charity pursues its objects and complies with all legal obligations. These duties are listed in the attached role specification.
What difference will you make?
As a specialist in education, you will play a key role in maintaining and improving the quality of our volunteers’ support of children, which is the core mission of Number Champions. As one of our trustees, you will also contribute to the overall management and development of the charity.
Numeracy, like literacy, is a vital skill for life, and children who fall behind risk never achieving their potential. The positive impact of support from Number Champions in maths can encourage a child across his or her whole engagement with education.
You will thus support improved educational opportunity for hundreds and ultimately thousands of children each year.
What are we looking for?
Skills and experience required
- current or recent experience in primary school teaching,
- commitment to the mission of Number Champions,
- willingness to meet the time requirement,
- strategic vision,
- good, independent judgement,
- ability to think creatively,
- willingness to speak your mind,
- acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of being a trustee (we will supply training on this), and
- ability to collaborate successfully as a member of a team and to take decisions for the good of the charity.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.