NYMAZ is seeking a committed and willing individual to join our Board as Treasurer, and to support the team of Trustees in their work to champion music, build partnerships and maintain our profile as a leader in youth music development across North Yorkshire and beyond. We are looking for someone who believes in the power of music to positively change lives, however, a background in the arts is not essential.
As part of the role, you will review annual budgets and financial statements, and provide support in presenting the management accounts at quarterly Board meetings. You will form part of the Finance Committee who meet quarterly to scrutinise accounts ahead of Board meetings. You will approve payments and advise on financial matters as required.
We are looking for a forward-thinking individual who believes in the life-changing potential of music to champion the organisation, creating links with a variety of stakeholders, potential partners and supporters.
- Attendance at Finance Committee meetings (approx. four per year), currently held online, where the detailed management accounts are scrutinised, alongside the budgets and other financial matters
- Attendance at quarterly Trustee meetings, including presentation of the management accounts
- Detailed review of the management accounts around four times per annum, including comparisons against budget, and allocation of income and expenditure across the funds and projects of the Charity, and assisting the Director and bookkeeper with these areas. Current accounting software used is Quickbooks (experience of using this software is not required).
- Review of the annual budgets
- Review of the annual statutory financial statements (examined independently – not audited – with the Treasurer liaising with the independent examiner)
- Advice on other financial matters, including remuneration, Charity Commission reporting
- Approval of payment runs
- Liaison with the Charity Director and bookkeeper
- Knowledge of Charity financial reporting, including a detailed working knowledge of the Charities SORP, ideally gained through working in a senior finance capacity at a Charity or through experience of working with not-for-profit clients in a professional services accounting practice
- In particular, understanding how to report expenditure and the requirements of statutory financial statement fund accounting is key
- Meetings – around four hours per quarter
- Other time – no more than one hour in an average month, closer to two hours when considering the year-end financial statements
- Attendance at an annual Away Day with staff and fellow Trustees
- We encourage Trustees to attend NYMAZ events to ensure they have a thorough understanding of the charity and can advocate on our behalf
We are an inclusive organisation and can make reasonable adjustments to application processes, interviews, training sessions and other activities on a case-by-case basis. We also provide ongoing support for the individuals we work with, so if you have particular accessibility needs, please do get in touch and let us know.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.