As a lead volunteer, you will assist the shop manager in leading, managing and planning for the development of a shop team. You may be involved in:
• Opening, closing and managing the shop in the shop manager’s absence.
• Supervising volunteers and ensuring safeguarding and health and safety policies are adhered
to and acted on as appropriate, reporting any concerns.
• Effectively delegating responsibilities and coaching individuals and teams.
• Maximising the income from donations, Sourced by Oxfam and Gift Aid.
• Ensuring that shop activities reflect Oxfam values and beliefs.
• Promoting our exciting sustainable fashion campaigns such as ‘Second-Hand September’.
•Keeping up to date with Oxfam’s internal communications and sharing any news with the
shop team to ensure compliance with current requirements.
What skills and experience are we looking for? You do not need specific skills and experience, but the following will be useful:
• Commitment to Oxfam’s values of empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness.
• Ability to work within Oxfam’s policies and shop guidelines.
• Enthusiastic and committed to achieving shop aims and objectives and motivating others.
• Ability to work collaboratively with the shop manager and the shop team.
• Ability to work well as part of a team and under own initiative.
• Good written and verbal communication skills. • Friendly and approachable.
• Ability to deal in a tactful and professional manner with confidential information and sensitive situations.
• Proficiency in Microsoft office, particularly Word and Excel and the willingness to learn
What will you gain from this opportunity?
• You will be joining thousands of volunteers who “won’t live with poverty”.
• Learn about Oxfam’s humanitarian, development and campaigning work.
• Opportunity to utilise and develop your transferable skills.
• Opportunity to gain and or improve your customer service, management, leadership and
• Ongoing training to provide you the level of responsibility as a shop manager in relation to
volunteer and shop management.
• Gain valuable insight into volunteer and shop management.
• Opportunity to gain nationally recognised NVQ qualifications in customer service,
warehousing, retail and management.
• Lunch and local travel expenses can be reimbursed in line with Oxfam’s policy.
Oxfam is a global movement of millions of people who share the belief that, in a world rich in resources,
poverty isn't inevitable. We respond fast in emergencies, work on long-term projects with communities
and campaign for genuine, lasting change. Our volunteers, staff and those we aim to influence are all
guided by our values of empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness.
With a network of over 600 shops, our diverse volunteers play an integral role in championing Oxfam’s
value, running the shops and promoting our life saving work to the wider community.
Through the sales of donated goods and our ethical range of new products, Sourced by Oxfam, our
shops raise millions of pound each year to fund our crucial work to end the injustice of poverty.
Oxfam shops are at the forefront in campaigning for sustainable fashion and we are proud that no item
of clothing donated to us finds its way to the landfill. Since it opened in 1974, all donated clothing items
that do not sell in our shops are brought into our Wastesaver warehouse, where they are sorted and
sent to various retail channels such as festival shops, specialist boutiques, Oxfam’s Online Shop or to
our social enterprise project, Frip Ethique, in Senegal. You can find out more here.
Why do we need you?
Our shops would not be able to raise crucial funds for Oxfam’s emergency and development work all
over the world without our dedicated volunteers, who provide their time and bring multitude of skills. In
return, we offer personal development, valuable insight into charity retail and a friendly environment to
meet new people.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.