Oxfam Books Muswell Hill
Internship (3 months)
An internship at the Oxfam Bookshop in Muswell Hill is a fantastic way to gain valuable experience as a stepping-stone to your first job or to brush up your existing skills if you are thinking of returning to work - perhaps after a career break. The position is also useful as a way of gaining new skills in the world of retail and volunteer management if you are thinking of making a career change. Past interns have gone on to find full or part –time roles both within Oxfam and elsewhere.
All you need is an enthusiasm for retail or books, the willingness to work as part of a busy team and a desire to work with people – all other training will be provided. By the time you have completed your internship you will have been trained to Assistant Manager level and also have made a real contribution to Oxfam's work to end poverty.
We are looking for candidates who are ideally able to offer a minimum of three days a week, which may include one day at the weekend. The internship will run for 3 months. The role is on a voluntary basis and will therefore be unpaid - however lunch and reasonable local travel costs can be reimbursed in line with Oxfam's policies.
During the Internship, you will:
- Manage donations of Books, DVDs and Music
- Process new stock
- Operate the till and provide excellent customer service
- Learn how to maximize the income from donations/new products/Gift Aid
- Manage a small team and train new volunteers
- Assist the manager in running shop operations
- Deputise for the manager in their absence, and solve routine problems
- Learn the main management systems for a retail / charity shop business
- Complete daily/weekly reports, implement accounting & banking procedures
- Ensure that shop activities reflect Oxfam’s values and beliefs
- Keep up to date with Oxfam's internal communications & share any news with the shop team
The skills and competencies we require: (please note: no direct experience is needed, as all training will be provided)
- An ability to work within the shop guidelines and manage a busy workload in partnership with the shop managers and shop team
- Reliability and attention to detail
- A willingness to work as part of a team as well as on your own initiative
- An interest in retail and books
- Good communication skills & the ability to follow instructions
What this role can offer you
- The opportunity to enhance your CV with new skills and experience
- The chance to gain specific retail/supervisory/managerial skills
- The ability to demonstrate experience of working within a complex charity shop environment
- The opportunity to develop personal capabilities and skills
- Be trained in shop management to the level of assistant manager
- The chance to work and develop within a friendly and diverse shop team
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.