Oxfam's network of over 600 shops is run by over 20,000 volunteers and shop managers. Through the sale of donated goods and new products the shops contribute millions of pounds each year to help fund Oxfam's crucial work.
The success of the shops depends on the commitment of our volunteers, effective management and strong teams.
If you are interested in applying for an internship, learning about the role of assistant manager this is a fantastic opportunity to develop or enhance your retail and supervisory skills.
This role requires a high level of commitment, reliability and willingness to work as part of a team as well as on your own initiative.
Ideally you will be able to volunteer for 4 days a week for a minimum period of three months.
You will learn about all aspects of running the shop including:
- Managing donations (Clothes, accessories and home ware) and stock processing.
- Providing excellent customer service and operating the till.
- Maximizing the income from donations, new products such as Fairtrade and Gift Aid.
- Assisting the manager in running the shop operations.
Once fully trained you will take greater responsibility for:
- Ensuring the smooth running of the shop & take actions to solve routine problems and training new volunteers.
- Learning the main management systems in a retail / charity shop business.
- Ensuring that shop activities reflect Oxfam values and beliefs.
- Keeping up to date with Oxfam's internal communications and share any news with the shop team.
Skills and competencies:
- Ability to follow instructions, work within the shop guidelines and to manage a busy workload in partnership with the shop manager and shop team.
- Reliability and willingness to work as part of a team as well as on your own initiative
- Good communication skills. Some IT and supervisory skills
- Honesty and integrity
- Ability to maintain an environment that is safe from hazards and complies with health and safety legislation and Oxfam procedures. As this is a supervisory role, applicants will be expected to agree to an enhanced DBS check.
What this role can offer the volunteer:
- You will be joining thousands of volunteers who "won't live with poverty."
- The opportunity to use, gain or enhance your leadership and managerial skills
- Gain experience in a complex charity shop environment.
- The opportunity to develop personal capabilities and skills for working in retail.
- Be trained in shop management to the level of assistant manager.
- The chance to work and develop within a friendly and diverse shop team
- Enhanced CV - References will be available on completion (minimum 3 months)
- Lunch and reasonable local travel costs can be reimbursed in line with Oxfam's policy.
Contact: Jan Godden
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.