Branch Treasurer (Plymouth Branch)
Parkinson's UK local groups offer friendship, support, and numerous activities for people affected by Parkinson's.
In Plymouth, the group is a core part of the local Parkinson's community. As Treasurer you'll help manage the finances of the group, making sure they're spent effectively for people affected by Parkinson's.
With a head for numbers, you'll keep track of the funds the group holds, working with staff and volunteers to report on the groups financial activity as required. Experience in accountancy or bookkeeping is desired, but not essential and you'll develop your skills along the way.
You'll build existing connections, and meet new people in your local area, all whilst making a difference to those living with Parkinson's in Plymouth.
The group meets each month, but many of our volunteers undertake parts of their roles from home - at a time that suits you.
More about this role
Local Network Support Officer
Where you will be based
Why we want you
Local groups across the UK are run by volunteers and offer friendship and support to people living with Parkinson's and their families and friends. These groups are entirely funded by voluntary donations. We need a branch treasurer to help ensure these funds are spent in the most effective way to support people living with Parkinson's in your community.
What you will be doing
- Accurately record financial activity, keeping the group and the Parkinson's UK central office informed of the group's financial position
- Stay up to date on Parkinson's UK's financial policies and share them with the group
- Provide regular reports to the committee on the financial status of the group including final accounts at the annual general meeting
- Deal with financial administration for the group, including recording decisions around legacy spending, sending annual financial returns to the UK Office, ensuring volunteer expenses are paid accurately and according to our volunteer expenses policy
- Be a signatory on the group's bank accounts
- Work with local staff and other volunteers to help the group operate within Parkinson's UK guidelines
The skills you need
- Previous experience in finance, accountancy or bookkeeping would be valuable, but is not essential
- Confident with numbers and able to take the lead on the groups finances
- Collaborative and team focused; you'll need to make balanced decisions on the groups financial decisions, in conversation with the committee and local staff
- Have basic computer and email skills
- Be able to make balanced decisions that take into account multiple views, and contribute in an open and inclusive way
- Contribute in an open and inclusive way
What's in it for you
- Develop your accountancy or bookkeeping skills - we are happy to provide references
- Play a crucial role in the local Parkinson's community, making new friends and building connections
- Learn and develop valuable financial, administrative and communication skills
- You'll be part of a pioneering organisation, committed to finding a cure and improving life for everyone affected by Parkinson's - in your local area and beyond
It's important that people affected by Parkinson’s can trust us with their personal information. As a Branch Treasurer you would be handling personal or sensitive data, so by undertaking this role you'll need to complete our Advanced Data Protection training, which your Parkinson’s UK staff contact can help you to do. To be a signatory on a local group account, banks will perform a credit check. Volunteers cannot perform this role if they have been declared bankrupt.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.