Join Gateway Qualifications as a Trustee and be part of our journey towards expanding educational opportunities. Help shape our strategy and empower learners as we look to grow in areas such as assessment opportunities, end point assessment and devolved skills development.
Location: Remote with occasional face-to-face meetings in Colchester
Closing date: 9 a.m. Wednesday 10th January 2024
About the role
Gateway Qualifications is an organisation on a mission to make a difference in the world of education. With a commitment to promoting high-quality education for all, we are a growing and passionate team that believes every individual deserves the opportunity of high-quality education. We have a strong national presence and are rapidly expanding, particularly in the East and North of England.
We aim to bridge the gap between employers and education, especially in the context of skills and qualifications. Our organisation follows noble principles, striving for transformation and development while serving a charitable cause.
Gateway Qualifications is a synonym of innovation and, as we approach the culmination of our current strategic plan and set our sights on the upcoming strategy plan for 2025-2028, we are seeking three new Trustees to bring their expertise from further education, end point assessment and the industry, to become an integral part of a dynamic and dedicated board. Working alongside our existing board of nine members, you will help to steer the organisation towards continued growth and success.
The role of a Trustee is pivotal in ensuring that we remain compliant with our regulatory bodies, including the Charity Commission, Ofqual, and Companies House, while also spearheading innovative initiatives that empower students to attain qualifications, advance their career prospects, and transform their lives.
As a Trustee, you will collaborate closely with our executive team to further the organisation’s mission to support all learners to acquire the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in life. Gateway does this by providing qualifications and assessment opportunities sought by employers and delivered by education and training providers. Your wealth of skills and experience will play a crucial role in realising our strategic direction, with a heightened emphasis on diversification into areas like technical qualifications, end point assessment and devolved growth.
Furthermore, as a Trustee, your expertise will be a valuable asset, especially in areas like apprenticeships, the care sector, and accessible education options. This alignment will allow us to lead regional efforts in skill development and position Gateway Qualifications as a leading voice in education that works closely with employers.
Who we are looking for
We are seeking three Trustees who are aligned with our mission and embody our values of Partnership, Originality, Integrity and Quality to empower Gateway Qualifications and uphold our commitment to fostering a passion for the industry. As an essential part of our organisation, these new Trustees will play a crucial role in shaping our future and supporting our strategic plan.
We are searching for individuals who are committed, passionate, and forward-thinking. While specific skills and experience are essential, what matters most is the dedication and enthusiasm to make a positive impact on the future of education.
Our goal is to ensure that students from all backgrounds are represented and provided with equitable opportunities. We are focusing on three key areas where our new Trustees can contribute most effectively.
- Further Education: We are particularly interested in individuals with expertise in areas such as widening participation and up-skilling within the further education sector and independent training providers. A practitioner or senior-level professional would be ideal, and we are especially interested in individuals currently serving in a senior capacity within a college or training provider. A background in commercial sectors, such as digital, healthcare, and English/maths, would be a valuable addition.
- EPAO: We are looking for Trustees who possess a deep understanding of the EPAO landscape, regulatory requirements, industry best practices and delivery challenges providers face. Your expertise will help us maintain the highest standards in this field, ensuring that learners and centres undertaking EPA activities through ourselves experience an excellent service and are equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge. We value those who have hands-on experience in delivering and would be particularly interested in individuals with experience and understanding of the healthcare apprenticeship sector.
- Industry Representation: Someone with change management experience, financial and accounting acumen, and an understanding of policy, politics and funding would be an asset to our board in this ever-changing political and policy landscape to help us navigate current and potential future challenges and opportunities. We are particularly interested in candidates from London and the North of England who can bridge the gap between employers’ needs and the education sector, ensuring a devolved approach to the different national skills needs.
We are actively seeking Trustees who share our passion for the power of education, can provide valuable insights to guide us through a rapidly evolving landscape and offer the appropriate support and challenge at a strategic level.
Your contributions will be instrumental in helping Gateway Qualifications continue to support providers and change futures.
If you are passionate about education, keen to contribute to a growing organisation, and eager to make a positive impact, then joining our board is a unique opportunity to shape the future of education in the UK. You will be part of a dynamic team dedicated to ensuring every individual has access to a high-quality education and a bright future. We are excited to have like-minded individuals on board who share our vision and values.
Requirements of the roles
- You will be expected to attend four board meetings per year, with at least three out of four meetings being held virtually. Board papers are made available via a secure link one week ahead of the scheduled meeting for Trustees to prepare.
- All board members are encouraged to join a committee. Committee meetings are held three times a year and cover Finance, Governance, Quality and Access to HE.
- There is also the option to attend an annual face-to-face strategy day, which is encouraged.
- Trustees serve a three-year term and can be re-elected for an additional three years.
- We are open to people looking for their first Trustee position and will support and develop your knowledge and experience in this area.
- We are committed to covering travel expenses for our Trustees.
Please click 'Apply via website’ to be redirected to the Peridot Partners website, where you can find full details of the candidate profile and register your interest to apply.
Applications for this role close at 9 a.m. Wednesday 10th January 2024.