What does this volunteer role involve?
- Taking phone calls and answering emails from people wishing to donate furniture and entering the details onto a database.
- Registering new Homestore customers by a face-to-face discussion about their needs.
- Providing sales assistance to customers during their visit to Homestore by confidently talking about price and scheduling deliveries.
- Processing customer purchases on a database and taking payments by cash and card.
- Setting prices for donated furniture according to training provided.
- Talking to customers about their experiences and recording the answers using a feedback survey.
- Supporting the Homestore staff and manager with general administrative tasks such as filing and data entry.
When can I volunteer?
Homestore is open to the public from 10am – 4pm, Monday to Friday.
The shifts available are half days 9.30am – 1.30pm or 1.30pm – 4.30pm or full days 9.30am – 4.30pm.
We ask volunteers to do one or two shifts per week.
Will you pay my expenses?
Yes, we will pay for your travel within London zones 1-6 and we will pay £6 for your lunch if you work a full day.
What experience do I need?
None! We will give you all the training you need. But if you have already worked in administration, retail or hospitality you’ll be off to a great start.
Is the furniture store accessible? Yes
What personal qualities do I need?
People who do well in this role:
- are friendly and enjoy talking to people face to face and on the phone
- show understanding, discretion and empathy to our customers
- show initiative rather than wait for instructions
- can accurately enter information into a database
- can co-operate with other volunteers and have a positive outlook
- have a good working knowledge of spoken and written English
- can be relied on to attend regularly, on time
Will this role improve my employability?
Yes. It is a busy office and show room and you will be taught all aspects of how it runs. After three months volunteering we will supply you with a reference.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.