Refugee Women Connect is a charity that provides support for women refugees and asylum seekers including pre and post natal women, victims of trafficking, domestic slavery and human rights abuses. We do this by providing weekly drop-in groups, outreach support, mental health support and casework. Any woman who is an asylum seeker or refugee in the Merseyside area can access our services. We aim to support our service users in a practical and holistic way, working in a non judgemental manner and respecting each individual’s uniqueness and diversity.
We are looking for a volunteers to help us deliver informal English provision at our drop-ins.
As a small charity we rely on the work of volunteers and in return can offer valuable and varied experience, within a passionate team. Please note that, due to the nature of the work involved, this position is restricted to female only applicants.
We would like volunteers to support us with:
- Leading an English class or women of different English levels
- Prep for class and bring materials, or use the materials we have available
- Plan topics and informal lessons for the women to deliver them in a drop-in setting
- EITHER Wednesday from 2-3pm, Tuesday 10 - 2pm or Friday 1030 - 230pm.
- We are looking for someone who can make a long term committment which is a minimum of 6 months.
If you don't have a formal teaching qualification, that's OK. We are looking for someone who
- Can committ 1/2.5 hours on one of the days specified above
- Can committ for a minimum of 6 months
- Has experience teaching English as a second language
- Has experience delivering English language in a informal setting
- Has experiecne in dealing with people where there is a language barrier
- Is creative and can work with a range of different language levels
- Is willing to long-term volunteer work
- Has experience working with vulnerable people
- Is charismatic and able to speak and engage new women
- Has a passion for wanting to help refugees and asylum seekers.
Our Commitment to Volunteers
- Valuable experience
- Professional references
- In house and external training opportunities
- Opportunities to celebrate and be rewarded for your help
- A commitment to provide reference for anyone who volunteers with us for over 3 months
- 1-1 support with the Volunteer Manager
Once we have received your application, all volunteers will be assessed via an interview. If successful, we will invite you to a “taster shift” before you begin your volunteer role. Please note that it will be necessary for you to undergo a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check and we will require 2 references on your application form.