Overview of the Branch Administrator opportunity
As a Branch Administrator, you would be in an essential volunteer role as the principal communications trustee managing and maintaining the administrative affairs of our branch. Using your expertise and skills, you will be able to influence how we care for and prevent cruelty to animals and drive the implementation of key initiatives.
As a minimum, trustees would normally be expected to attend a monthly committee meeting lasting some 2 to 3 hours. However, the commitment may vary depending on whether or not the trustee takes on additional duties.
About the RSPCA
Founded in 1824 we have been saving animals for almost 200 years and are proud to be the oldest welfare charity around. It has always been our vision to live in a world where all animals are respected and treated with compassion, so our volunteers and employees work tirelessly to ensure that all animals can live free from pain and suffering.
Through our numerous campaigns, we seek to raise standards of care, and awareness of issues, affecting animals today. We rely heavily on our volunteers who play a significant role in enabling us to carry out this important animal welfare work every day!
The RSPCA Anglesey Branch
The Angelsey Branch is one of the branches of RSPCA, but we are also a separately registered charity looking after animals in our local area. Much of the animal welfare work of RSPCA is carried out through local branches, which is run by volunteers who have the support of the National Society of RSPCA.
We raise our own funds locally through events, collections, and our charity shop in Holyhead in order to help animals most in need. We also neuter hundreds of cats, dogs, and rabbits every year, foster cats and kittens, and carry out home checks for potential adopters.
Primary responsibilities of the Branch Administrator
- To act as the primary contact point for all branch communications with the national Society, the branch committee and the branch membership.
- Arrange branch meetings, ensure accurate minutes are taken and distributed in accordance with branch rules.
- Ensure all branch committee decisions are implemented and actions completed.
- Arrange the branch AGM including the compilation and distribution of the annual report, nominations and agenda in line with the strict timetable laid down in the branch rules.
- Arrange the timely dissemination of the contents of all correspondence and literature received by the branch, ensuring availability to all committee members, and reply to all branch correspondence where necessary.
- Order and distribute RSPCA stationery, leaflets, posters and other fundraising and promotional material.
- Liaise with the Branch support specialist (BSS) and group chief inspector and notify them of all branch meetings.
- Advise the BSS of all changes to branch facilities, services and contact details.
- In the absence of the membership secretary, assume responsibility for the maintenance of the branch membership list.
- Submit recommendations for national Society awards to the BSS, in accordance with the wishes of the committee.
Core Branch Trustee responsibilities
- Appreciate and support the aims and policies of the RSPCA.
- Work in conjunction with fellow trustees and branch officers and jointly act in making decisions for the best interest of the branch and the RSPCA.
- Work with national RSPCA staff to ensure that the branch meets all minimum animal welfare standards (MAWS).
- In conjunction with your fellow trustees and Branch Support Specialist write, adopt, monitor, and review a development plan setting out the short and long term aims of your branch.
- Actively participate in branch committee meetings and to attend the branch annual general meeting and regional conference.
- Be aware of the outcome of regional board meetings and support regional initiatives.
- Actively promote and advertise the society in an ongoing programme to recruit new branch trustees and volunteers and welcome new members.
- In conjunction with your fellow trustees, ensure the proper management and control of all activities and decisions relating to any premises held or staff employed by the branch if applicable.
What we are looking for in a volunteer:
Above all, we are looking for someone who is committed to the RSPCA’s charitable objectives and shares our passion for animal welfare.
Specific skills such as finance, fundraising, project management, business experience, awareness of employment and/or charity legislation can be useful, but not essential.
You will need to be able to work with people and have good interpersonal skills. You do not need to be an expert, although commitment, common sense, and the ability to be objective are vital.
What we can offer you as a volunteer Branch Administrator
- We will provide you with a comprehensive trustee training course which will provide you will everything you need to carry out the role.
- Ongoing support is also provided by regional and national RSPCA staff in addition to any additional training provided by the relevant branch.
- The platform to utilise your skills and experience to oversee the charity and make decisions that have a direct impact on local animal welfare.
- The opportunity to gain new skills and develop existing ones, whilst making a real difference to the lives of animals.
- A way to expand your professional and personal network through working with like-minded people.
- Please also note that to become a Trustee, you will need to be aged 18 or over and a member of our branch for three months before you are eligible to be elected.
- Trustees are elected for a 12-month term each year.
- Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
- Trustees must sign a Trustee Declaration of Willingness to Act to clarify that they are not disqualified from being a trustee and read the Charity Commission’s guidance for individuals on who can’t be a trustee or senior manager of a charity.
- References will also be required.
We hope you are interested in volunteering for our branch! For more information and to apply and for an application form, please click the apply button above.