Service User Involvement Volunteer - London Youth Gateway
Role Summary - To support the current and past service users with ongoing activities and support as part of Shelter's London Youth Gateway
Time Commitment: One day a week for a minimum of six months, but this is flexible
Location: Resource For London, 356 Holloway Road, London, N7 6PA
Supervised by: London Youth Gateway supervisor
As a Service User Involvement Volunteer you will be a valuable part of our team supporting young people who are facing homelessness and bad housing. You will play a crucial role in helping young people to engage with activities and services within Shelter and across London. You will also support us to promote Shelter's advice services to under 25s in London.
Main Tasks can include:
- Help organise activities and events for our young clients
- Supporting clients to access local resources
- Finding and reaching out to relevant local services
- Inputting information onto our case management system
- conducting client feedback calls
Skills and Experiences Required:
- Interest in social welfare law e.g. housing; welfare benefits; debt; community care
- Ability to organise your own work, manage your time and work on your own initiative
- Ability to use computers and programs such as Word and Excel
- Effective communication skills and the ability to understand the needs of our customers
- Willingness to follow Shelter’s policies, including volunteering, health & safety, equality & diversity & confidentiality
Induction, Learning and Development:
To enable you to take part in this opportunity, Shelter will:
- Provide you with a Volunteer Handbook and all Policies and Procedures
- Provide E-Learning: Equality and Diversity, Health and Safety, Data Protection, Environmental Awareness and Safeguarding
- Provide on the job induction
- Reimburse "out of pocket" expenses in line with Shelter's volunteer expenses policy
Benefits of Volunteering with Shelter
- Supporting Shelter in our fight against bad housing and homelessness
- Build your confidence and develop transferable skills
- Be part of a great team
- Gain valuable work experience as part of a team
- Enhances your CV, we can help you to update this and will provide references when you leave our services
Why get involved with Shelter?
Shelter helps millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through our advice, support and legal services. And we campaign to make sure that, one day, no one will have to turn to us for help. We're here so no one has to fight bad housing or homelessness on their own. Shelter volunteers are involved in our head office, services, shops, campaigns, events and our legal teams and they all contribute their valuable time, skills and experience. We simply couldn't achieve our goals without them.
Please complete an application for this role. After you have applied, we will invite successful candidates to an interview to discuss the role further.
- You will be involved in regulated activity for this role, and for this reason we require you to undertake a basic DBS check
Please note, you will be asked to declare any unspent convictions. Having a criminal record does not mean that you cannot volunteer with us. It may limit the different ways that you can get involved, but please contact us, if you require more information.
This is a voluntary position that supports the work of our services and is not replacing the work of a paid member of staff. This role profile does not form part of any contract of employment.