Are you a leader with international development experience, as well as a passion for championing the rights of vulnerable girls at risk of abusive practices?
SheRose is offering a fantastic opportunity for a committed individual to join our growing team to work alongside our CEO as a Chair of Trustees, and oversee our board of trustees. As a small charity, you will be at the forefront of helping shape and grow the strategic objectives and direction; ensuring the Board and management team operates within its charitable objectives and provides a clear strategic direction for the charity, as well as oversee the following principle responsibilities:
Strategic leadership -
- Provide leadership to the charity and its board, ensuring that the charity adheres to their values, mission and vision; and that we achieve maximum impact for our beneficiaries.
- Hold the board to account by making sure all decision and plans are in line with the charity's objectives, which clearly outline the direction the charity is to take in order to meet the objective.
- Provide strategic support around fundraising and increase our yearly target; making sure that the board strive for financial health of the charity.
- Regularly review financial processes to make sure there is financial accountability within the charity.
- Make sure that all trustees accomplish their tasks and responsibilities to ensure the effective governance of the charity.
- Regularly review all potential risks and put in place systems that mitigate these risks.
- The ability to mediate and resolve any conflict which may arise within the board.
- Review the performance of the board, the director, and other senior members of staff within the organisation on a regular basis.
- Assess the capability and knowledge of the board as a whole and work to develop any weak areas that are identified.
- Identify the skill set of those on the board, and work to upskill the board with any skills, knowledge and experience that may be mission and is needed for the full functioning of the charity.
- Regularly review all policies within the organisation, ensuring the organisation has all the relevant policies in place.
External Relations -
- The chair much represent the organisation and act as an ambassador for the cause and the charity at all events they attend within their role. They must act as a spokesperson for the organisation.
- At times, the chair may be asked to represent the charity at functions or meetings.
- Mitigate any potential conflict with external stakeholders.
- Build and maintain good relationships with key stakeholders and people of influence.
Efficiency and effectiveness -
- Chair meetings of the Board of Trustees effectively and efficiently, bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision making process (the board meets 4 times a year).
- It is the responsibility of the chair to ensure that all trustees are engaged and contributing to discussions. They must ensure that all decision are made democratically across the board, and made in the best interest of the charity.
- Follow up on all decisions made at trustee meetings to ensure they are implemented.
- The chair must support the director to ensure meetings are well planned and that all relevant documents to be reviews by trustees are distributed in good time.
- The chair must be confident in providing and receiving constructive feedback.
Relationship with the CEO and the wider management team -
- Build and maintain a strong, effective and a constructive working relationship with the CEO, where they are able to hold the director to account around achieving agreed strategic objectives.
- Support the CEO, whilst respecting the boundaries which exist between the two roles. There is to be regular contact between the chair and the CEO.
- The chair will develop an open and supporting relationship with the CEO and other leaders within the organisation; and will liaise with various team leaders to maintain an overview of the charity’s affairs, and provide support as necessary.
- The chair will support the CEO and other leaders within the charity with their personal and professional development.
As well as the above qualities, we are also looking for a chair of trustees who meets the following criteria:
Personal Qualities –
- Demonstrable passion and commitment to the values, mission and vision of the charity and the cause we are trying to affect change in.
- Possess strong inter-personal skills and the ability to maintain positive relationships.
- Good networking and engagement abilities.
- Ability to listen and encourage others.
- Friendly, open-minded, team player.
Experience/ Skills –
- Experience in international development
- Experience of operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organisation
- Experience of working with or as part of a Board of Trustees
- Experience of external representation, delivering presentations and managing stakeholders
- Experience of chairing meetings and events
- Strong leadership skills
- Experience in financial management, with senior level knowledge of charity finances
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.