Sound Seekers is looking to recruit a volunteer Audiologist with experience in paediatric audiology and training and capacity building on audiology, to be based in Ndola, Zambia, for a minimum of six months .
Sound Seekers is a small charity based in London working in some of the poorest communities in our countries of operation, which include Malawi, Zambia, The Gambia, Sierra Leone and Cameroon. Our mission is to support people with hearing loss realise their rights by enabling access to healthcare and education. We do this by partnering: with major hospitals and health service providers to improve the prevention, identification and management of hearing loss; with schools to improve the quality of education for children with hearing loss; and with communities and wider stakeholders to raise awareness on hearing loss and advocate for equal opportunities for people with hearing loss.
Since 2007, Sound Seekers has been in the process of setting up a paediatric audiology clinic in University Teaching Hospital (UTH) in Lusaka. From January to December 2017, Sound Seekers placed a full time volunteer Audiologist from the UK to set up the management and intervention components of paediatric screening at UTH. Since the placement of the volunteer Audiologist, the Children’s Hearing Clinic has been fully set up with relevant systems and protocols in place. Another Volunteer Audiologist was placed at UTH in February 2018 to support the audiology clinic at UTH and to get outreach services up and running. Since March 2019, the audiology team at UTH has begun outreach to local communities using a vehicle and a trailer equipped with sound-proof booths.
In tandem, sponsored by Sound Seekers, a nurse from UTH has been training as an audiology technician and has returned to UTH in January 2018 to continue and carry forward the audiology work initiated by Sound Seekers. Another nurse from UTH is currently being trained from UTH at the University of Nairobi to gain a Diploma in Audiology and Public Health Otology, returning to join the audiology team at UTH in October 2019.
WORK IN NDOLA
Since May 2018, Sound Seekers has been working with Arthur Davison Hospital (ADH) in Ndola, Zambia to support the establishment of paediatric audiology services in ADH. Arthur Davison Hospital is a children’s hospital serving the Copperbelt Province of Zambia as well as the Northern regions. The audiology services in Arthur Davison Hospital are envisaged to include clinic-based and outreach services. The Audiology clinic at ADH was officially launched in June 2019.
Sound Seekers is also currently sponsoring one clinical officer from Arthur Davison Hospital on a Diploma in Audiology and Public Health Otology at University of Nairobi, returning to ADH in October 2019, to ensure sustainability of the services in the longer term. We will also be sending a second staff member from ADH for training in October 2019.
DESCRIPTION OF THE ROLE
Our current Volunteer Audiologist in Lusaka has just completed her assignment in June 2019. Sound Seekers is now seeking to recruit a volunteer audiologist, with experience in paediatric audiology, to continue supporting the running of the newly established audiology services in Arthur Davison Hospital as well as provide on-the-job training and supervision to the hospital staff. The volunteer audiologist will also work with the team in Lusaka and provide technical advice and support as needed to the team.
The volunteer Audiologist will be the audiology lead for Sound Seekers in Ndola, Zambia.
EDUCATION/ EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Qualified audiologist
- At least 2-3 years of paediatric audiology experience
- Experience performing diagnostic audiological tests on children of all ages. Proficient performing electrophysiological assessments (ABR/ASSR) and behavioural assessments (VRA and play audiometry)
- Experience fitting a range of hearing aids to children of all ages
- Clinical management experience is desirable
- Demonstrable experience of teaching or training on audiology topics
- Ability to successfully manage relationships and to work in a collaborative manner with a variety of stakeholders from different cultures and backgrounds
- Interest and willingness to manage and implement project activities on the ground
- Previous experience of working abroad, particularly in Africa, is desirable though not essential
CONDITIONS OF PLACEMENT
- Location: Ndola, Zambia
- Preferred start date: ASAP
- Duration: Minimum six months with possibility of extension.
- Sound Seekers will cover costs of: travel to and from Ndola including travel insurance and will pay a reasonable living allowance expected to cover costs of food and accommodation. There is no salary attached to this position.