Spotlight on Corruption is a small but growing anti-corruption charity which works to end corruption within the UK and wherever the UK has influence. We focus on ensuring that the UK is effective at enforcing its anti-corruption laws, and upholding its anti-corruption commitments. We have a unique court monitoring program that helps us track how effective the UK is on enforcement, and provides our evidence base for in-depth advocacy research about what needs to change.
We are looking for two new trustees to expand the expertise and skills of our Board.
You will be joining an active and dedicated Board, currently comprising four people, and will play a pivotal role in shaping Spotlight on Corruption and supporting our work. This is a great opportunity to be part of a professional and passionate team and to share your skills as well as learn new ones.
Deadline for applications: 15th November
Start date: January 2021
Reasonable travel expenses will be paid to attend Board meetings
Charity trustees share ultimate responsibility for governing Spotlight on Corruption and directing how it is managed and run. Trustees are also company directors and members of Spotlight.
The responsibilities of trustees will include:
- Ensuring that Spotlight has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction and is focused on achieving these.
- Being responsible, with the Executive Director and other trustees, for Spotlight’s performance and culture.
- Ensuring that Spotlight complies with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Acting as guardians of Spotlight’s assets by taking due care of their security and proper use.
- Ensuring that Spotlight’s governance is of the highest possible standard.
In addition to your statutory duties, each trustee will use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board of trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising Board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives, or other issues in which the trustee has special expertise.
What we are looking for
We are committed to increasing the diversity and range of skills on our Board and we would especially welcome applicants who have the following attributes.
- Commitment to the work of Spotlight on Corruption and the role of trustee.
- A willingness to contribute fully to all the meetings and dedicate the time required.
- Strategic vision.
- Good, independent judgement.
- An ability to think creatively.
- A willingness to speak your mind.
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
As well as the above, we are particularly interested in applications from people with the following skills/experience:
- Governance or management of small charities
- Fundraising and Income Generation
- Human resources
You would be expected to attend three meetings a year (one in person and two remotely), and for those with fundraising and finance skills, attend additional meetings of the Finance and Audit Committee. You should be interested in supporting the development of Spotlight’s aims, both through strategic input and specific advice based on your background.
How to apply
Please submit a CV/Linked in profile and covering letter/supporting statement. Please include how your skills and experience match the person specification, why you wish to join the Board and any other relevant details in support of your application.
We anticipate that interviews will take place in December. If you have not heard from us within two weeks of submitting your CV, then please assume that you have not been asked to be interviewed (as a small charity our resources are limited).
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.