The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.
Springfield Community Flat (SCF) is a grass-roots community development charity based in an area of Stockwell characterised by high levels of unemployment, crime, gang violence, dilapidated social housing and poverty. We work with children, young people, families, vulnerable older people, asylum-seekers, long-term unemployed and anyone else needing help. We run an adventure playground, we provide breakfast clubs and after-school clubs for primary aged children, OFSTED registered Early Years Sessional Care, free English classes, literacy classes, senior citizens support, advice services and much more!
Springfield Community Flat has been providing ESOL classes for refugees, asylum seekers and migrants for several years. The classes cater for students with various languages as their first language and various cultural expectations. Our community ESOL classes are free for students.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and approachable volunteer teaching assistant who can support adult and young learners from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds, and ages. You do not need to have previous teaching experience but CELTA would be appreciated.
The role involves volunteering at Springfield Community Flat (SW8 2RE) on weekday mornings from 9:30am to 11:30am. You will be supporting the ESOL class teacher & working alongside other volunteers as well as students.
We can refund reasonable travel expenses & lunch is sometimes provided.
Springfield Community Flat is committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults. Successful candidates will be required to undergo a DBS check for this role.
As a volunteer you will help the teacher and other volunteers to:
• Provide a safe and welcoming environment for our asylum seeker, refugee and other migrant clients
• Deliver lessons by supporting students one-to-one or in a small group, as directed by the ESOL teacher
• Work in cooperation with the ESOL teacher & Refugee Support Worker
• Respect confidentiality
• Keep within the aims, objectives and values of Springfield Community Flat
• Uphold the policies and procedures of Springfield Community Flat
• MUST be fluent in English
• CELTA or previous teaching experience is preferred but not essential
• Positive attitude and professional approach
• Good communication and presentation skills, both written and oral
• Good organisational skills
• Good team work skills and the ability to relate well to staff and students
• A flexible approach
• Ability to deliver resources (prepared by the ESOL teacher) in an informative and imaginative manner
• Willingness to work with other volunteers who can offer support to students during lessons
• Understanding of some of the challenges faced by refugees, asylum seekers and migrants in the UK, and sympathy for clients facing such challenges
Springfield Community Flat is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake a criminal record check via the Disclosure and Barring Service.