Become a Trustee for Surrey Independent Living Council
Who we are
Surrey Independent Living Council (SILC) is a charity that supports disabled people, older people, parents of disabled children, carers and people with long term health conditions across Surrey. We have been operating since 1997 and provide a range of services all aimed at enabling people to live independently and to have their voices heard.
We are committed to the Social Model of Disability and, as a user-led charity, we are led by people with a lived experience of disability and/or long-term health conditions with the majority of our Trustees having personal experience of disability.
Following a recent strategic review by Mosaic Charity Consultants, we have identified the following priorities for the Trustee Board to advise on:
- Refresh and extend our Trustee Board to bring in people with skills and experience to help further the aims of the Charity.
- Develop a revised 3-year organisational strategy in line with the recommendations set out in the report.
- Identify and develop new income streams.
- Review and update the charity’s structure and staff roles to ensure the right team is in place to deliver the updated strategy.
How can you play a part?
The role of Trustee is vitally important to the running of SILC and a real opportunity to make a difference for people in Surrey who need support to live independently and to have their voices heard.
We are seeking to build a Trustee Board with a broad range of experience and knowledge as well as one that is reflective of the diverse community of Surrey. Personal qualities that make an excellent Trustee are good, independent judgement; an ability to think creatively; a willingness to contribute to discussions; and an ability to work as part of a team.
Currently, we particularly welcome applications from people who have expertise and experience in one or more of the following.
- Human resources
- Business planning and development
- Income generation
We encourage disabled people to apply to be Trustees, but also value committed individuals who are passionate about what we stand for.
The role is unpaid, but travel expenses are reimbursed.
What does the role involve?
The role of our Trustee Board is to agree strategy, business plans and performance targets for the organisation along with approving annual budgets and monitoring service performance. The Board is also responsible for the management of risk and compliance with regulatory and statutory requirements.
Time commitments can vary according to your availability and area of specialism, but as a guide you will be expected to:
- attend six 2-hour Board meetings a year.
- attend an annual “Away Day” along with the staff team.
- attend an induction session and participate in other training as appropriate.
- read Board meeting and other papers as circulated to Trustees.
- participate in working groups – optional depending on skills, knowledge, and availability.
How to apply
If you are interested in becoming a Trustee, please call the SILC office and we will arrange for our Chief Executive to contact you.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.