Our new shop in Aberystwyth is looking for a retail assistant to help the shop during any free time you may have. In this role you will be spending some time us whilst helping your local community as well as being placed in a friendly working environment with the rest of our lovely volunteer team. Not only with this role help you improve on any existing skills but it will give you more confidence and allow you have more interaction with the community. Make your time count and help us to support your local community.
Why am I needed?
Community is at the heart of everything we do at Tenovus Cancer Care and our shops in communities across Wales and England help raise money so that we can fund vital research and support cancer patients when they need it most. Our volunteers are very important to our organisation and your helps towards the running of the shop and being able to give good customer service and provide friendly atmosphere for those who donate to us.
What’s in it for me?
By volunteering with us you’ll get the chance to:
- Meet new friendly people
- Grow in confidence and improve on your communication (on the phone and in person)
- Gain some cash handling experience
- Gain customer service experience
- Have the chance to make a difference
- Have the opportunity to be bring new ideas to the shop whilst developing your admin, retail and customer service skills
- Access to apply for all internal vacancies
- Have access to training
- The enjoyment of meeting new people and being part of our Retail Team
- Reasonable expenses can be reimbursed in line with organisational policy
- Have the chance to gain experience of helping Wales’ leading cancer charity
What will I be doing?
Some of the things that you may help with include:
- Cash handling and processing transactions on the till
- Welcoming customers into the shop
- Speaking with customers and sharing the amazing things we do
- Providing exceptional customer service to improve customer experiences with the charity
- Working within a team and being able to communicate effectively with them
- Organise stock and ensure only the best products were provided with feature on our shelves
- Getting creative and organising our window displays to help attract customers
- Steaming clothes to make them look attractive to the public
- Researching any interesting or potentially antique items online to try and develop greater sums of money from donations
Encouraging people to sign up to Gift Aid where they can
What skills and qualities do I need?
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Organised and efficient
- Basic numeracy skills
- A keen eye for detail and good level of accuracy
- Able to work on your own initiative and as part of a team
Many of the standard tasks within the shop involve standing or sitting, handling bags and donations from the public and there may be stairs to climb depending on which shop you are based in. If you have any concerns about this, please speak with the Shop Manager when expressing your interest in volunteering.
How much time do I need to commit?
Ideally you’ll be able to give around half a day per week with the opportunity to do more if you’d like to. However we appreciate any time you’d like to give; please let us know which days or hours you wish to volunteer with us for in your application form.
What support and training will I be given?
- Before starting with Tenovus Cancer Care, we ask that you try a small number of hours in the shop so we can make sure you’re happy in the role. The amount of hours you volunteer is flexible and can be decided between you and the Shop Manager
- The Shop Manager and team will be on hand to run you through the basics of helping in a shop in your first few days, they will give you an induction and they will always be on hand after that.
- There is potential for you and the Shop Manager to sit down and put a Personal Development plan together for what you want to gain from the volunteering experience. If this is something that interests you then please speak to your Shop Manager.
Where will I be based?
You’ll be based within our Aberystwyth shop.
How do I apply?
If you’d like to apply to volunteer in your local Tenovus Cancer Care shop please contact the Shop Manager directly or visit our website to apply online.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.