Why not make your spare time count? Tenovus Cancer Care has a great opportunity for you. Come and volunteer at a friendly charity shop. As a Customer Service Assistant you’ll be the welcoming face in the shop looking after our customers. Without you we couldn’t fund our research and services.
What’s in it for me?
By volunteering with us you’ll get the chance to:
- Be part of a team and meet new friendly people
- Grow in confidence and improve your communication skills
- Gain some cash handling experience
- Gain customer service experience
- Have the chance to make a difference
- Bring new ideas to the shop
- Develop administration, retail and customer service skills
- Enjoy meeting new people and be part of our Retail Team
- Gain experience of helping Wales’ leading cancer charity
- Know you’re making a vital difference to the work of Tenovus Cancer Care, and in particular the people who access our unique services
The role of Customer Service Assistant
As a Customer Service Assistant your roles and responsibilities are included below. However you’re not limited to these roles. You’re encouraged to get involved in different departments of the shop.
- Speaking with customers, making them welcome and answering queries
- Cash handling and serving customers at the till
- Accepting donations from the public
- Putting goods on display in the shop
- Keeping high levels of shop standards, presentation and cleanliness
- Supporting the Shop Manager in carrying out shop security procedures
- Promoting the charity and the services we provide
- Assisting the Shop Manager with stock take and general duties such as filing and sorting the post.
What skills do I need?
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent communication skills both face to face and over the telephone dealing with a range of people
- Organisation and efficiency when completing administration tasks
- Basic numeracy skills
- It’d be great if you have some knowledge of fashion, labels and trends
- A keen eye for detail and good level of accuracy
- Able to work on your own initiative and as part of a team.
Many tasks within the shop involve standing or sitting for periods, handling bags and donations from the public and there may be stairs to climb depending on which shop you’re based in. If you have any concerns about this, please speak with the Shop Manager when expressing your interest in volunteering.
What benefits can I expect?
- The opportunity to be creative bringing new ideas to the shop whilst developing your fundraising and sales skills
- The opportunity to develop new and existing skills
- The enjoyment of meeting new people and being part of our Retail Team
- The chance to gain experience of helping Wales’ leading cancer charity
- The ability to apply for all internal vacancies
- Access to training
- We’ll reimburse reasonable expenses in line with organisational policy
How much time do I need to give?
We know time is precious and we’re grateful for any time you give. Ideally we look for around four hours a week. We’re very flexible and can work around your needs, even if this is just an hour of your time. Let us know what you can do in the application form.
How do I apply?
If you have any questions or would like to speak to someone about volunteering at Tenovus Cancer Care please contact our Volunteer Development Team.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.