Finance Director – Unseen Tours: Homelessness Revisited
Volunteer Role: Join our Board of Directors
London, EC2A 4NE
Mainly at home (occasional meetings in London – usually quarterly)
24 November (Friday)
Either in or out of office hours
Estimate of time needed: 1-3 hours / week
Monthly meetings (90min); Quarterly meetings (2h); account management review (4h/month); admin (1-2h/ week)
What will you be doing?
Unseen Tours is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Finance Director to join our passionate Board. As the Finance Director, you will play a pivotal role in overseeing and advising on our financial operations and ensuring the financial sustainability and growth of our social enterprise.
Unseen Tours is a multi-award-winning social enterprise that provides opportunities for people with experience of homelessness to curate and lead walking tours of London. Our mission is to provide meaningful employment opportunities, empower individuals to rebuild their lives while offering tourists a unique perspective of the city. We’re on a mission to change the way people see homelessness, one tour at a time.
The Finance Director’s core role is to inform the Board of Directors’ discussions of financial matters. Candidates should therefore be skilled and experienced in interpreting financial information and explaining it to a non-specialist audience.
The expected time commitment:
- Monthly meetings usually lasting 90 minutes
- Quarterly Directors’ meetings usually lasting 2 hours
- Reviewing monthly management accounts/financial information is a core task which may require approximately a half day a month. Additional time is required when considering the annual budget and accounts.
- Emails may at times take a few hours per week, particularly in the approach to meetings.
- Assisting with funding applications and fundraising as required.
- Management Accounts and our statutory Accounts are prepared by an external accountancy firm, so the time required beyond the normal Director role is limited.
What are we looking for?
What we’re looking for:
- A Minimum of 2 years commitment.
- Excellent knowledge of financial regulations and compliance.
- Exceptional leadership and communication abilities that can be demonstrated through experience.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and engage in strategy development and execution, and understanding of business operating models.
- Ability to work well with external accountants and other outside agencies.
- Able to Identify and mitigate financial risks through effective risk management strategies.
- Experience with financial planning and long term investment decisions- including funding applications, reporting to funders, supporting the development of our business strategy.
- The candidate should be able to understand financial statements, reconcile budgets against financial metrics and critically assess accounts.
- Passion for Unseen Tours’ mission and values.
- Recognised accounting qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent).
- Experience in a finance role, with 3/4 years+ post qualification experience.
- Experience in a similar senior financial leadership role.
- Experience working in the tourism industry, social enterprise or charity sector, or with people with experience of homelessness.
What difference will you make?
As the Finance Director, you will play a pivotal role in overseeing and advising on our financial operations and ensuring the financial sustainability and growth of our social enterprise. Your core role will be to inform the Board of Directors’ discussions of financial matters.
What we offer:
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth within a rapidly expanding company.
- The chance to contribute to a socially responsible organisation.
How to apply:
If you are a dedicated finance professional with a passion for our mission, we would love to hear from you. Please send your CV and a cover letter detailing your relevant experience and why you are interested in joining the Unseen Tours Board of Directors, together with the details of at least two professional referees.