How to apply
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.
TDAS is launching a new Helpline Service for people to access support as a result of experiencing domestic abuse. People will be able to call our office number and speak to a Helpline Volunteer for support and information around domestic abuse.
Trafford Domestic Abuse Services (TDAS) is a registered charity offering support to individuals and families who are affected by domestic abuse. We support both female and male victims of domestic abuse who live or work in the Trafford area. We provide both intervention and prevention services and work in partnership with other voluntary organisations to support families across Greater Manchester.
Purpose of the volunteering role:
Helpline Volunteers will provide emotional support and information in a non-judgemental and non-directive way to people who are experiencing or have been affected by domestic abuse. Helpline volunteers will provide a safe space for people to talk and share their feelings, provide information and to signpost to other relevant services. Helpline volunteers will also refer people into our services for further support within TDAS. Our helpline will be available for a set time frame on a specific day (to be confirmed).
· To provide emotional support and information via the telephone to people who have experienced domestic abuse.
· To listen to and deal with helpline telephone messages.
· To answer the phone to clients who wish to access support from TDAS
· To be confident using the phone and a computer including Microsoft Word and Outlook, internet and email.
· To promote and support the development of TDAS by being a positive ambassador at all times with volunteers, staff members, service users and external agencies.
· To signpost service users to local organisations, emergency services or social activities.
· To write up notes about the telephone support provided to the service users on TDAS’ secure intranet.
· To participate in other organisational events/activities as agreed with the Volunteer Coordinator.
· To report any safeguarding concerns to a member of staff.
Experience/ Knowledge/ Qualifications:
There are no requirements for this volunteer role in terms of professional qualifications, however some experience or training in counselling, psychotherapy, support skills or psychology would be an advantage. We also highly value people’s personal experiences. However, we ask that volunteers have allowed themselves sufficient time to process their experiences and access support for themselves.
Some factors that we look for in volunteers are:
· A good understanding of domestic abuse, its effects on the victims, their families and the wider community
· A clear understanding of safeguarding adults, children and young people
· A clear understanding of professional boundaries, confidentiality and an awareness of GDPR
· A positive commitment to Equality and Diversity
· Empathic, good listener, approachable, reliable, trustworthy
Location of volunteering:
This volunteering role will take place In the TDAS Community Office based at Oakland House - Ground Floor East, Talbot Road, Old Trafford, M16 0PQ.
· This volunteering role is subject to receiving satisfactory references as well as an enhanced DBS check.
· Volunteers are responsible to the Volunteer Coordinator and Helpline Service Advisor.
· Volunteers are to ensure that all organisational policies and procedures are followed and adhered to appropriately.
· Volunteers are expected to follow reporting procedures outlined by the Volunteer Coordinator and in line with Policy and Procedure; this applies to all concerns, incidents and anything relating to Adult and Child Protection/ Safeguarding.
· Volunteers are expected to attend regular supervision meetings with the Volunteer Coordinator.
· The health and safety of volunteers, staff and service users is paramount, and it is essential that volunteers take accountability of this when undertaking this role
· Volunteers will be offered training, which is relevant to the volunteering role, which will be provided by the organisation. This may be in house training or through an external organisation.
· Travel expenses from getting to and from TDAS will be reimbursed (within reason and agreed with the Volunteer Coordinator)
· Ongoing personal development and training will be supported, encouraged and facilitated where possible
How to apply:
· If you are interested in applying for this volunteering role, please fill out the Volunteer Application Form on our website.