The Lullaby Trust provides expert advice on safer sleep for babies, supports bereaved families and raises awareness on sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Working with the NHS we run a national health-visitor led service for bereaved parents, Care of Next Infant (CONI) programme, which supports families before and after the birth of their new baby.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join The Lullaby Trust Board. In addition to providing inclusive leadership, the newly appointed Chair will also:
- Hold the Board and Executive Team to account for The Lullaby Trust’s mission and vision
- Ensure that each trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the charity
- Support, and, where appropriate, challenge the Chief Executive
- Ensure that the Board functions as a unit and works closely with the entire Executive of the charity to achieve agreed objectives
- Act as an ambassador and the public face of the charity in partnership with the Chief Executive
In addition to the qualities required of a Trustee of the charity, the Chair must also meet the following requirements:
- An understanding of public health issues and the need for bereaved families to be offered high quality support
- Demonstrate a strong and visible passion and commitment to the Lullaby Trust, its vision, values and strategic objectives
- Personal gravitas to lead a significant national organisation
- Exhibit strong inter-personal and relationship building abilities
- A commitment to partnership working and the ability to identify and develop close working ties with other organisations
- Demonstrate tact and diplomacy, with the ability to listen and engage effectively
- Strong networking capabilities that can be utilised for the benefit of the charity
- Ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment
- Ability to commit time to conduct the role well, including travel and attending events out of office hours
- Experience of operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organisation
- Successful track record of achievement through their career
- Experience of charity governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees is desirable
- Experience of external representation, delivering presentations and managing stakeholders
- Significant experience of chairing meetings, committees and events
Knowledge and skills
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the Civil Society sector and current issues affecting it
- Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate staff and volunteers and bring people together
- A broad understanding of charity finance issues
- Good understanding of charity governance issues
- Good understanding and/or experience of opportunities and challenges in embracing new technologies and platforms in support and delivery of the functions and services of The Lullaby Trust
Candidates are not required to have a personal experience of baby loss but applications from those who do and also meet the above criteria are welcomed. Candidates who will increase the diversity of the board are of particular interest.
For further information about the role of Chair at The Lullaby Trust and the person they are looking for, please download the Candidate Information Pack.
- Closing date for applications: Tuesday 14th April 2020
- Preliminary interviews with Trustees Unlimited: Week commencing 20 April 2020
- Interviews with The Lullaby Trust will take place in May 2020
How to Apply
To apply for this position please provide the following two pieces of information:
- A comprehensive CV, including details of your achievements in each role and details of two referees.
- A supporting statement, explaining how you believe your skills and experience match the requirements of the role, directly addressing the criteria as outlined in the person specification. Please also outline your motivation for applying for this role.