This is an exciting time to be joining UoGSU. We are about to start the journey to develop our new strategy as our current strategy enters its third and final year. As an organisation we have been focused on communities, change and the education of our members.
We are currently recruiting two external trustees, one individual with experience and expertise in finance/financial management and one individual with experience and expertise in business and business development. Each term lasts 3 years and trustees can serve a maximum of 2 consecutive terms. Extensions are dependent on re-election to the board.
The trustees are responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the Students’ Union. This includes effective use of resources, maintaining the long-term financial viability of the organisation and the well-being of staff.
The individuals appointed as trustees will need to be sympathetic to the aims of the SU and more generally share a commitment to the broader values of the student movement; student representation, student rights and the student experience – and the importance of students having a platform to organize together to help make these values a reality.
The role requires a careful balance; trustees need to respect the democratic will of the membership where possible but also be willing to think creatively, challenge constructively and point out potential risk. The Board is comprised of Student Trustees and External Trustees and oversees the work of a team of permanent staff and Student Officers led by the Chief Executive.
An eye for detail to ensure the SU is being well governed and the ability to see future opportunities are also important.
We would like our new trustees to have the following profiles:
Role One (Finance):
We are looking for an individual with experience and expertise in finance – this trustee will chair our Audit and Risk committee. You will be a qualified accountant with experience of financial management, governance and oversight and an understanding of financial audit best practice. Previous experience of Audit and Risk committee work is of interest but not essential.
Role Two (Business):
We are looking for an individual with business/organisational experience who can bring a mix of expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Business Development
- Social Enterprise
- Commercial Development
- Business Performance
- Charity governance
General candidate requirements:
All candidates will need to be comfortable reading and understanding financial information (or be willing to learn more about this aspect of the role). They should also have the following:
- An understanding of business management.
- A willingness and ability to devote the necessary time and effort to attend board and other meetings, including preparing and reading for those meetings.
- A willingness to speak their mind and contribute.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Analytical ability and good independent judgement.
- An understanding and acceptance of the role of a Charity’s Board of Trustees (including the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of Trusteeship).
- A commitment to act in accordance with the Nolan principles for ethical conduct in public service and the SU own values.
Desirable but not essential:
- Recent experience of the higher education sector or of Students’ Unions.
- Experience or knowledge of board governance.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.