As a Project Volunteer, you will assist the Project/Reserves Officer to maintain and enhance WWT nature reserves.
Tasks you will be involved with
Tasks will vary throughout the year, ranging from meadow and ride cutting in the summer to coppicing, tree felling and scrub clearance in the winter along with various construction projects, fencing, pond work, river and bank work and a whole range of other tasks including habitat surveys, species work and practical habitat work. Often the work will involve the use of hand tools, mechanical and powered equipment such as brush-cutters and mowers on site.
Skills and abilities required
- No prior experience needed, as full training is provided.
- You should bring suitable footwear and waterproof clothing, all tools and safety equipment will be provided.
- Please be aware of the physical nature of practical work and the requirement to work with and alongside mechanical and powered equipment.
- A willingness to work outside in all weather and remote locations.
- An understanding of the importance of health and safety in the environment described.
- Able to follow instructions.
- Please note: If you require assistance in your everyday life you will need to attend with someone who can support you throughout the session as it is essential that people are able to take responsibility for their own health & safety.
Bring a packed lunch, drink, sun cream and insect repellent.
You will be based at
Various reserves throughout Warwickshire, Coventry and Solihull. The groups will either meet on site or at Brandon Marsh Nature Centre where transport to the different nature reserves will be provided.
Times/Days we would like you to be available
Various, dependent on which project you volunteer with. Start times are between 9.30am and 10.00am, and finishing between 3pm and 4pm.
Benefits to you
- Contribute to the conservation of our beautiful nature reserves.
- Learn new skills.
- Meet like-minded people, make new friends.
- Get some fresh air and exercise.
- Improve your health and well-being.
- Reconnect with nature.