About the Opportunity
Whizz-Kidz aim to transform the lives of young wheelchair users aged between 2 and 25. We do this by providing life changing mobility equipment, exciting youth groups and wheelchair skills training. There are also sometimes extra opportunities, such as volunteering at a residential camp.
Volunteers can help us to reach this aim by:
• Supporting young people to get involved in activities
• Leading or co-leading activities or ice breakers if you would like to
• Acting as a positive role model for young wheelchair users
• Ensuring the event runs smoothly along with other volunteers and staff
Our mission is to transform the lives of disabled children by providing the equipment, support and life skills they need, when they need them – giving them the chance to develop their full potential.
Did you know that there are thousands of disabled children waiting for their childhoods to start, as they struggle to get a wheelchair that meets all their needs? We believe that every young disabled person has the right to a fun and active childhood, and the chance to develop their full potential in life. We provide disabled children and young people with vital mobility equipment, and life journey services, giving them opportunities to build friendships and have fun, and training to help them gain skills and look forward to a bright future.
Our vision for the future is that all disabled children’s lives are full of fun, friendship and hope for an independent future. Just like any other kid’s.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for people with the following skills:
• Enthusiastic and confident
• Supportive, friendly and sensitive to others
• Ability to communicate with young people of different ages with different abilities: for example, some of our young people may use a communication device instead of communicating verbally.
• Positive attitude towards disability
• Flexible and creative
• Proactive and not afraid to get involved
• Experience of working with young people is an advantage but not essential
• All volunteers will receive safeguarding training and a DBS or PVG check as you will be working with vulnerable children and young people.
• Whizz-Kidz will reimburse reasonable travel expenses, usually up to £30 per event.
• Our clubs run on a weekend whilst wheelchair skills training sessions happen during the week. We hope to offer all volunteers at least one volunteering opportunity a month.
We would really love to welcome you to our team of volunteers!