Here is an exciting opportunity to join the Board of Trustees of Young Bristol – a charity with an outstanding record of supporting young people in the Bristol area for over 90 years. As a member of a committed and enthusiastic Board, you will be able to help shape the future of this respected charity and enable even more young people to benefit from its services. You will be learning about the delivery of a range youth services and expand your understanding of charity governance.
The Board of Trustees of Young Bristol is looking for new members who will ensure that we have the skills and experience to support Young Bristol during an exciting growth period. In a challenging funding environment, the Board is developing a clear strategy for its long term sustainability.
Young Bristol values diversity of perspective and experience and is keen to recruit individuals from a diverse range of backgrounds who can help steer Young Bristol, working closely with its CEO and talented management team. We are seeking new Board members with an affinity for our mission and the ability to help Young Bristol achieve its ambitious goals. With this in mind, we are seeking candidates with one or more of the following skills or experience:
- experience generating revenue in a social enterprise
- experience in fund-raising
- experience working at a senior level in the small charity sector
- experience with youth voice
- experience (as a staff member, volunteer or as a user) with Young Bristol youth clubs or other community club networks
In addition, successful candidates will be able to demonstrate:
- A track record of sound judgement and effective decision making
- Empathy with and a desire to support young people
- A commitment to promoting equality and diversity
- The ability and willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- The disposition to speak their mind and offer constructive challenge when appropriate
- Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
- The ability to work effectively and collegially as a member of the Board
- An understanding of the respective roles of the Board and the senior management team
Young Bristol is recognised as one of Bristol’s leading providers of community based youth services, through our club network based in some of Bristol’s most challenging communities.
Partnering with other community-based organisations, and working directly with young people through our programme of activities, we respond creatively to the needs of young people and help them to realise their capabilities. We are a valued provider of outdoor activities, creative arts, instructor training and informal educational programmes for young people during and outside of school hours. We provide positive activities and safe places designed to help young people to build confidence, skills, and self- esteem whilst having fun and improving their pathway to employment.
Young Bristol has a strong record of success, with some notable achievements in the past few years. It recently launched the Youth Bus - the result of a highly successful fundraising campaign to mark the charity’s 90th birthday - and is bringing a renewed focus to the clubs network. In the coming year, Young Bristol plans to relocate its outdoor activities centre which, in addition to being used by local schools and clubs, will also allow for the generation of additional revenues to support its charitable activities.
Role description and person specification
The Board of Trustees is jointly and severally responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity, its financial health, the probity of its activities and developing the organisation’s aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the governing document, and legal and regulatory guidelines. Details regarding the organisation’s vision, mission and values can be found on the Young Bristol website.
The Trustee appointment is a voluntary role, with an initial appointment of three years, renewable twice. The Board meets at least six times a year, in Bristol.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.