Are you passionate about the empowerment of youth and sustainable development in Africa?
Youth Link Networks is seeking a driven, confident, team player who also thrives working independently to join our team as a Trustee & Treasurer. The successful candidate will have a great eye for detail and experience in accounting. They will be responsible to the project the board of trustees and CEO. This is an unpaid position which would require a few days commitment per month.
What do we do?
Youth Link Networks is registered in the UK but based in Uganda Iganga District. It aims to empower young people by promoting sustainable initiatives that educate and provide economic generation. The charity has a particular interest in girls education as we have and continue to partner with schools to make sanitary pads and provide facilitation around the menstrual cycle to bridge the gap between girls, boys and teachers. We believe that everyone in the school chain must be included in the education of the female anatomy in order to relieve stigmas and provide an opportunity for girls to be treated fairly and justly in the education system, thus keeping them in school.
We have recently implemented a Covid-19 Response project whereby the team respond to medical needs, food security and sanitation (sanitary care and hygiene practices) to vulnerable families in the sub-bounty of Nambale. We have incorporated a sustainable farming model to encourage self-sufficiency and potential income generation to all of the families. The charity has young people at the heart and forefront of the work but ultimately our charity's projects aim to alleviate poverty & provide opportunities to everyone.
ROLE DESCRIPTION FOR A TREASURER
Note: The overall role of a Treasurer is to maintain an overview of the organisation’s affairs, ensure its financial viability and ensure that proper financial records and procedures are maintained.
In addition to the person specification for a trustee, the treasurer should have the following qualities.
- Financial qualifications and experience
- Some experience of charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes
- A willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
- Ability to communicate clearly
This is a great opportunity for someone to become a part of a passionate & dynamic grass roots charity, to be considered a very integral part of the charity's achievements & evolving changes from the early stages.
Treasurer of Youth Link Networks
In addition to the general responsibilities of a trustee, duties of the treasurer include the following.
- Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements
- Being assured that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs
- Ensuring that the charity has an appropriate reserves policy
- Preparing and presenting financial reports to the board
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
- Liaising with any paid staff and volunteers about financial matters
- Advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans
- Ensuring that the charity has an appropriate investment policy
- Ensuring that there is no conflict between any investment held and the aims and objects of the charity
- Monitoring the organisation’s investment activity and ensuring it is consistent with the organisation’s policies and legal responsibilities
- Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies, for example the Charity Commission and/or the Registrar of Companies
- If external scrutiny of accounts is required, ensuring that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required (independent examination or audit) and any recommendations are implemented
- Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Contributing to the fundraising strategy of the organisation
- Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
- Sitting on appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels as required