This volunteering opportunity is a chance to help parents and young people through challenging times in their lives, to reduce loneliness and isolation and to help people to make positive changes. Many people are finding life particularly hard to manage at the moment and would greatly benefit from talking regularly to a friendly, supportive volunteer.
YSS Shropshire Targeted Early Help improves outcomes for children and young people aged 0-19 years by ensuring that they and their families receive appropriate support at the earliest opportunity. We are now recruiting volunteers to support the work that we do.
Generally, volunteer support for our service users will involve phoning or contacting via a video app on a weekly or fortnightly basis, then reporting back to the team . This might be short term, for a few weeks, or much longer depending on the needs of the service user. You would need to be able to commit to this regular contact. Their are volunteering opportunities for day time, evenings and occasionally weekends so we are able to fit around your other commitments.
You will be fully supported by the volunteer coordinator and the family support worker working with that particular family, with regular phone and video catch ups.
Full training will be provided and all volunteers will be provided with a phone to use for this support role.
We are looking for volunteers who are:
• Aged 18 years or over
• Able to relate to, support and motivate a diverse group of people and develop positive relationships
• Able to demonstrate good listening skills
• A non-judgmental approach
• Willing to identify appropriate resources within local communities for service users to access
• Open to learning and with a commitment to personal development
• Be able to attend regular individual supervision and group support meetings online and by phone
• Available to volunteer for up to three hours per week which may include evenings and weekends
You will require an enhanced DBS (Criminal Records check), which we will organise
Ideally you will be able to volunteer for at least 12 months, although there may be opportunities for shorter placements
Although this role is carried out remotely you will ideally need to be Shropshire based
You will receive extensive training in safeguarding, supporting people, communication skills and other subjects relevant to the role.