Throughout October 2019, through a special fundraising campaign, we will be highlighting our work to help prevent wildlife and people being exploited by illegal wildlife crime.
We are looking for engaging and passionate individuals to become ZSL Ambassador’s for Wildlife to talk to people in a central London location to help us to
- Raise awareness of this cause
- Bring the public closer to the personal stories of the communities in Nepal
- Encourage donations to continue this work
Purpose of role/ project:
Visitor engagement role to be the friendly and engaging face of ZSL supporting users of a central London retail street to engage with our experiential Pop-up Exhibition space and raise awareness of a major new fundraising campaign linked to combating the Illegal Wildlife Trade.
Commitment of role:
The Pop-up Exhibition space will operate 7 days a week during normal retail opening hours over October 2019. We are looking for people who can volunteer for at least two shifts during this period. The shift options are outlined below:
M, T, W, F, Sa: 09:30-14:30 or 14:00-19:30
Th: 09:30-15:30 or 15:00-20:30
Su: 10:30-14:30 or 14:00-18:30
Main tasks volunteer will be asked to undertake:
- Encouraging and supporting Pop-up Exhibition space visitors to engage with the exhibition’s interactive elements.
- Tactfully encourage Pop-up Exhibition space visitors to donate to the campaign and communicating how the money will be used.
- Guiding Pop-up Exhibition space visitors in how to donate and use the contactless donation points.
- Raising awareness of the ZSL Pop-up Exhibition space with users of the central London retail area it is in and supporting them with wayfinding to the location.
- Supporting ZSL staff with special events and activities as required.
- Supporting the Daily Supervisor to manage visitor flow and experience in the space.
N.B. This role is not based at one of ZSL Zoo’s and does not involve contact with animals.
Anticipated skills and experience that the volunteer will bring:
- Basic awareness and commitment to supporting ZSL’s vision for a World where Wildlife thrives
- Passion and interest in animals and wildlife conservation
- Friendly, proactive people who are confident approaching people to start a conversation
- Clear oral communication skills
- People who understand what great customer service entails and deliver it consistently
- Commitment to attend one training session in September 2019 and at least two volunteering shifts in October 2019
- Ability to demonstrate ZSL’s values – inspiring, innovative, impactful, collaborative, ethical
Skills and experience volunteer will gain:
- The opportunity to be involved in an international conservation charity
- A chance to be part of a team of friendly, like-minded people
- The chance to volunteer in a vibrant ZSL satellite immersive event
- Training and an opportunity to learn more about ZSL
- Volunteer briefing session which will include information about the campaign, ZSL’s relevant conservation work and how these donations will be used, as well as the basics in how to promote and encourage street fundraising.
Support and resources provided:
- Dedicated Volunteer Management Team, and team of Daily Supervisors
- ZSL uniform and name badge
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Free ticket to the Zoo (for those who volunteer for 2 shifts or more)
- Travel expenses within Greater London reimbursed
- This role may require some outdoor working to promote visitors to the space.
- Please note this role involves lengthy periods of standing so a good level of fitness is required
- Access to basic kitchen facilities and an indoor space for breaks
Register your interest via our website